𝐂𝐡𝐚𝐩𝐭𝐞𝐫 𝟐𝟎

David's voice resonated through the car as he processed what his son just said. His astonishment was evident, but beneath it, Alistair could sense the flickers of excitement. "That she's a what?!" David exclaimed, turning his head to look back at the teenagers in disbelief.

The teenagers couldn't help but chuckle at their father's reaction, finding his childlike look rather endearing. Esther, however, wasted no time in reprimanding her husband for getting too distracted from the road. "David! Look at the road!" she scolded, her voice firm and commanding. Her reprimand made the teens laugh even more, enjoying the ever playful dynamic between their parents.

As the excitement got the better of him, David couldn't contain himself any longer. "Dude, they just told us our daughter is actually the daughter of an Original. Not just that, but the Original Hybrid!" he blurted out, a wide grin now spread across his face. His enthusiasm was evident, and he wasn't even trying to hide it in the slightest.

Esther shot him a look that could cut through steel, a silent admonition for his use of language. "Did you just call me 'Dude'?" she asked, raising an inquisitive brow at him. The shift in her tone and expression made them all shiver, even though the hardness in her gaze soon dissipated.

Panicking, David quickly corrected himself with wide eyes. "No, I said 'Love'," he replied, looking sheepish once again, like a deer caught in headlights. It was clear he didn't want to provoke his wife further.

"You better did." Was all the woman said before taking the opportunity to change the topic, Esther shifted her focus to Michelle. Her tone softened significantly, and she asked in a gentle voice, "And how are you feeling about all of it, sweetie?"

Michelle paused, searching for the right words to express her overwhelming feelings. "I-I don't really know," she began. "I mean, I have a twin sister, and that's overwhelmingly exciting. I feel like I've known her all my life, I mean, I've been dreaming of her since forever, and to know that she's an actual person, it's- it's-" she struggled to find the appropriate word to capture her emotions.

Alistair chimed in offering, "Exhilarating?" he suggested, and Michelle nodded vigorously, agreeing with the sentiment.

"Yes! Exhilarating. About my parents, I dunno. They seem fine, but, I mean, I haven't really met them. And we only talked for a few hours."

Alistair playfully smirked and remarked, "I personally think it's crazy that she has the potential to become a tribrid. That's like the closest thing to an immortal being since the actual immortal beings."

Curious about their plans with the Mikaelson family, David inquired about their next steps. Alistair explained that after dealing with the Nogitsune threat, they would return to New Orleans before the full moon. As Hope had already triggered her werewolf curse, and she and her parents would be there to support Michelle during her first transformation.

"Yeah," said Michelle. "I never thought I would look forward to every single bone in my body snapping," she said in a playful tone. "But I'm actually looking forward to it."

Esther smiled warmly, she offered reassurance, placing her hand on top of Michelle's. "I bet it'll be memorable."

Noticing how tense Michelle's body was and how forced the smile she wore was now, as the girl was still having trouble with the idea of their whole family dynamic changing, Alistair decided to take the conversation in a different direction.

(...)

As the car cruised down the road, a tense atmosphere enveloped its occupants. Alistair's voice cut through the heavily settled silence.