𝐂𝐡𝐚𝐩𝐭𝐞𝐫 𝟏𝟑

With a deep breath, he spoke firmly, "Dad, you weren't there, but I was. I saw it." Alistair let out a weary sigh before continuing, "I know it's hard for you to believe, but I saw her eyes change. We can't ignore this. We have less than a month to get her out of here."

"And you're certain she killed her?" his father asked, his voice tinged with skepticism.

"Yes, for the trillionth time," Alistair replied, frustration creeping into his tone. "She snapped her neck as if breaking a cracker." He grew weary of repeating the same details. As his father remained silent, Alistair pressed on, trying to make him see the truth. "She was born near New Orleans; all those packs live there. It's entirely possible she's connected to one of them."

David, now allowing the weight of those words to sink in, rested his elbows on his legs, burying his face in his hands. A defeated sigh escaped his lips.

"I'll talk with Bonnie about it," he passed by his father, giving his shoulder a comforting squeeze, before turning to leave for his room.

(...)

No matter how tall and powerful he could be, Isaac adamantly insisted on being the little spoon. And Alistair, without a single complaint, relished in the embrace, finding solace in holding Isaac from behind. It was a small gesture, but the way their bodies so perfectly harmonized, became a source of amusement and tenderness amongst their chaotic lives.

As Alistair wrapped his arms around Isaac's chest, his face nestled against the nape of Isaac's neck, a delicate fragrance wafted into his senses, an intoxicating blend of sweetness and masculinity embodied in his and Isaac's shampoo. It was a scent that made Alistair feel safe and at ease, as if all the troubles of the world had melted away.

Night after night, just like the weeks before, they slept intertwined, their limbs entangled, sharing the warmth of their bodies. And in this intimate embrace, Alistair found respite, a sanctuary where his once relentless nightmares had no power to haunt him. It was a haven from the ceaseless imaginary hunts that had plagued him for so long.

In the peaceful cocoon of their embrace, Alistair drifted into a deep, restful sleep, his mind unburdened, and his heart at ease. For in Isaac's arms, he discovered a refuge where tranquility reigned, granting him the serenity he had long yearned for.

Tonight, it was different. Because there he was again, in the heart of the forest, a forest that will forever be imprinted in his mind, under the moon's peak, it radiated with an intense, pure white brilliance.

The boy was running through the forest, skipping trees and branches on the floor. He ran and ran, feeling his heart throbbing in his throat, the sweat falling from his temples and down his back. His erratic breathing was leaving him breathless.

At one point, seeing as there seemed to be no way out of the forest, Alistair hide himself behind a tree, trying to hear and localize his foe, trying to build a spontaneous strategy that would help him live to see another day.

But, to his surprise, with his stop came a profound silence. There wasn't a single sound in that forest, not even the ambiance sound that is always present in real forests. Calming his breathing, Alistair was about to start yelling at himself to wake up, but it was to no avail.

Suddenly, it appeared. A figure standing with an unsettling lack of grace, as if every movement defied the natural order. Alistair's breath caught in his throat as he beheld the sight before him. The figure's head was swathed in bandages, concealing its identity, except for its mouth, which twisted into a grotesque, sinister grin. Within that mouth, two rows of teeth gleamed, reminiscent of a shark's menacing jaws.