𝐂𝐡𝐚𝐩𝐭𝐞𝐫 𝟐

As the rain poured down relentlessly, the vehicles finally arrived back in Beacon Hills after what felt like an eternity of driving from Mexico. Exhaustion and anxiety hung heavily in the air, but there was a sense of urgency to get Derek to safety. John wasted no time, practically leaping from his bike, he rushed to the car where Derek's young body lay, covered in jackets. The others followed suit, seeking shelter in the familiar surroundings of Deaton's clinic.

Carrying Derek's body, John led the way inside, carefully depositing him on a cold metal table. Deaton was taken aback when he saw Derek's rejuvenated form, "Oh, wow," was all he could say.

"Wow? Wow, like I've seen this before and I know exactly what to do? Because that's the wow I'm expecting." Said stiles, passing his hands through his face, still trying to make sense of everything, like everyone else.

"I think you are overestimating my abilities." Responded the Druid.

Grabbing one of Derek's hands, John looked up alarmed, "He's cold, like freezing."

"You think it'll be permanent?" Asked Alistair.

"I'm not even sure if you can give a medical diagnosis to this." Responded Deaton, examining Derek's eyes with a lantern. "This goes way beyond my experience."

Recognizing the imminent threat posed by Kate, if she tried to come for Derek, Deaton advised them to leave Derek at the clinic overnight, providing a safe place for him until morning. Everyone knew if she took all the trouble to do that to Derek, she had a reason that would only benefit her, while being bad for everyone else.

Despite their fatigue and confusion, the reminder of school in the morning brought them back to reality. Deaton urged them to go home and rest, but the concern for Derek still weighed heavily on their minds.

Scott suggested that someone should stay with Derek, and without hesitation, still holding his hand, and never taking his eyes from him, John volunteered. "I'll stay with him." No one could object to that, recognizing the nature of their relationship. "I don't have school in the morning, and this is my boyfriend." After a moment of contemplation, and looking up, he quickly added, "Even if it sounds awful because he's a child again. Just, go."

With a nod of approval from the others and a reassuring squeeze on John's shoulder from Alistair, they left the clinic, leaving John alone with Deaton and Derek. The weight of the night's events still hung heavily in the air, and as they departed.

As the morning came, in the dimly lit clinic, the exhaustion was palpable as Deaton carefully monitored Derek's vital signs while John looked on, having spent the night without sleep. The Keeper's concern was evident as he spoke, "How's he doing?"

Deaton, with a stethoscope pressed against Derek's chest, replied somberly, "His heartbeat is too high." Concern etched on John's face, he approached the table and gently touched Derek's forehead, sensing a slight improvement in his temperature. "I think his temperature is better now."

After pondering for a moment, Deaton decided to try an experiment. He picked up a nearby knife and instructed John to firmly hold Derek's arm. Derek's face softly contorted, as if he was experiencing some kind of nightmare, and John's heart ached for him, unable to provide comfort in his distress.

With the knife in hand, Deaton made a cut along Derek's forearm, but to their surprise, the wound healed almost instantaneously. The revelation left John puzzled, as only vampires possessed such rapid healing abilities.

Confused and seeking answers, John asked "What does this mean?"

"I'm not sure." The Druid remained uncertain, opting to test something else, he instructed John to retrieve a five-milliliter syringe from a nearby shelf.