𝐂𝐡𝐚𝐩𝐭𝐞𝐫 𝟐𝟑

David sat comfortably on one of the plush couches in his house, adopting a pensive posture, with his elbows resting on his knees and his hands supporting his chin. Across from him, the twins, Aiden and Ethan, stood, their expressions determined yet slightly uncertain.

"So, you want to leave?" David inquired, his voice steady and penetrating, as he cut to the heart of the matter.

"Yes," Aiden replied, his tone firm and resolute, while Ethan simply echoed the sentiment with a softer, "Yes."

David's piercing gaze shifted from one twin to the other, observing their reactions carefully. He wanted to understand their intentions fully before considering their request.

"Okay, and how do I know it's not just an excuse for the two of you to escape those you pissed off?" He probed further, his eyes locking onto theirs.

The twins exchanged a hesitant look, momentarily unsure how to respond to the question.

Ethan decided to speak up, his voice tinged with sincerity, "What your son, the Asian guy, told us, it stayed with us. It's only logical for you to doubt us, but we have been trying to redeem ourselves."

Aiden picked up where his brother left off, emphasizing, "You can ask anyone, we've done anything we could. We've put our lives at stake to help the others. We were willing to die yesterday for the greater good."

David listened intently, considering their words carefully. He knew they had a checkered past, but their willingness to change and help others deserved acknowledgment.

"The two of you have a pretty bad record. It won't be easy," David began, his voice authoritative as he stood up and walked towards the twins. He wanted them to understand. "I won't make you any promise," he continued, "You'll have to go through any normal procedure." His gaze met their gazes firmly, making sure they understood how serious he was being. "The only thing I can do is request for you to be taken into account."

Ethan and Aiden's faces brightened, grateful for the chance they were being given. "That's more than we can ask you," Ethan exclaimed, taking a step forward and extending his hand for David to shake.

David looked at him, a mix of caution and understanding in his eyes. He accepted Ethan's hand and gave it a strong and firm shake, signaling his agreement without needing to say a word. Then, he turned to Aiden, repeating the gesture, cementing their understanding.

In that moment, David witnessed how a sense of hope glimmered in the twins' eyes. They knew their path to redemption wouldn't be easy, but David's willingness to advocate for them to join The Keepers in England was a ray of light in the darkness. With a silent nod of gratitude, they left David's office.

After five minutes of waiting, Alistair finally caught the sound of Isaac's soft steps approaching from behind. The forest surrounded them, the last remnants of autumn giving way to the approaching winter. The trees shed their leaves, leaving their branches bare, and the air was filled with a sense of change. A heavy feeling weighed on Alistair's heart, knowing that more than just the seasons were shifting.

"Okay, it sounded like it was something very serious when you asked me to meet you here," Alistair remarked, his gaze still fixed on the forest.

Isaac's voice came out soft and timid, as if he were a child afraid to talk to an adult. His little automatic and unconscious actions and behaviors spoke volumes about his childhood, even if Isaac never wanted to say anything out loud. "I'm sorry," Isaac responded with a hint of vulnerability in his voice.

A soft smile graced Alistair's face as he turned to face the boy. "About being late or for the conversation that was due to happen?" he inquired gently, trying to ease the tension.