Chapter 5: Missing You

McKenna

Nervousness. I was so nervous. I didn't think I could handle this on my own. I was graduating, and this wasn't highschool, this was college.) I was getting my life together piece by piece and I was ready. Except I had to make the minor change of three kids to six cats but I could manage.

I had the dress I recently bought on and instead of the white heels Hailey leant me, I wore my white low top converse (with different socks because seriously, who has time to match their socks?) Hailey was seated on my right with the advantage of being a W last name of Wilkinson.

Hailey on the other hand looked stunning. Her hair fell in perfect curls and her purple dress and black flats fit her perfectly.

Today was not only a happy day for my dad to see his little girl graduating, college of all things, today was my sad day. My mom wasn't here to see me. She died my sophomore year of high school from cancer. Its always the damn cancer. Always. I always self consciously play with the ring she gave me on my finger.

The little amethyst encrusted ring gave me my calming to get through situations. I looked down at my right and saw it missing and panicked before I looked to my left hand to see it empty as Well.

I was so caught up the last few days I didn't even notice it missing, I'm such a bad daughter oh my God.

"Good morning Ladies and Gentleman and the graduating class of 2013!" (An: Bare with me on the time it takes place please.) The crowd clapped politely as the Dean continued.

"Thank you for coming today to see these wonderful people off to start their lives-" I zoned out after that as I looked down to see my hands shaking.

"Hailey." I whispered.

"The Dean is talking." She said holding a finger to her lips when I looked up to her.

"Hailey." I whispered again and started breathing deeply, trying not to draw attention to myself as the front row turned around and looked at me for a moment before turning back forward and people next to me were looking at me.

"Hailey I-I can't." I said and got up walking passed the people sitting in the chairs and running down the corridor and into the lit hallway as I took a couple of deep breaths.

"I'm so sorry mom." I whispered on the verge of tears. "That ring was so special to you and I lost it, in such a moron."

"McKenna!" I heard my name yelled from down the hallway. It was my dad and I knew Hailey was with him because the little click her flats made when she walked.

"Jesus McKenna you got us worried! What happened?" My dad asked when he saw me sitting on the ground with my head rested on my knees.

"I'm such a bad daughter. I lost the ring dad! I can't do this without the ring. I can't! That was my source of comfort and calmness." I said freaking out and pulling at my hair.

"Mick, no matter what, your mom isn't mad at you, if she saw you now she would be crying Her eyes out. Believe me, once you got on that middle school bus she started crying. You'll find the ring someday Because it wasn't meant to be lost. Its yours forever." My dad said reassuringly as he patted my knee I smiled at him and started playing with my fingers.

"Thanks dad." I said softly. He smiled back at me and got up with a groan. Old people.

"Now I want to see my little girl graduate," he started holding out his arm for me to wrap my arm around his "So let's get out there and put on a show!" He said walking out.

The hallway wasn't that long so we entered the huge stadium space soon. My insides churning, my finger felt cold without the ring, my eyes were burning with the thought of crying, it wasn't until I sat down that I realized just how close they were to my name.