Chapter 11: A Friday Night Like This

McKenna

It was awkward. I don't even know why I agreed to this. Maybe it was gratitude towards him for returning what I cherished most. I don't even know what it was, I just felt like I owed it to him.

His face lit up as we stopped in front of a little café and walked in taking a seat in a booth.

"I loved this place as a kid, my mom used to take my brother and I here all the time." He explained as I looked around at the fifties designed café and smiled a little at the cuteness it held. There were pictures of old artists and old actors. It was pretty cool.

I looked up to see a waitress walking towards our table with a smile on her face.

"How's everyone today? Can I get you guys something to drink?" She asked taking out a little ring notebook. Blues Clues. Was the first thing that came to my mind when I saw it and smiled at the memories.

"I'll take a water, thank you." I said softly.

"I'll take a sprite." Vic smiled at her as she wrote it down and looked back up.

"Excuse me, but I would just like to say congrats." She whispered to us over the table. I gave her a confused look and she smiled at me.

"On your engagement. I love seeing couples here, it's so sweet. The ring is absolutely beautiful by the way." She said simply gesturing to my ring.

"Oh-um-"

"Thank you, we're very excited for the big day." Vic said reaching across the table and grabbed my left hand and squeezing it.

"Well that's enough chit chat I'll go get your drinks!" She said turning around and walking away from the table. I pulled my hand away automatically and raised my eyebrows at Vic.

"And simply telling her that we weren't even together was off the list why?" I asked

"Awh c'mon Mick! Did you see her? She was so excited. I couldn't make her feel awkward."

"You're ridiculous."

"I believe nice is the word you're looking for." He shot back while the waitress came back with a tray back of our drinks.

She set the sprite down in front of Vic and the water in front of me and pulled straws from her apron, along with her notebook and pen.

"I'll take a bacon cheeseburger. With fries please." Vic said, not even giving her a chance to ask what we wanted.

"And I'll take the Caesar salad please." I said quietly while she smiled warmly at us and walking away.

"What's the ring so special for anyway?" I snapped my head away from looking at the waitress and locked my eyes on Vic's.

"Huh?" I asked.

"The ring. Why's it so special?" He asked gesturing to my ring finger. I wanted to be a total smartass and say because apparently it's my engagement ring. But I wasn't going to, so I just shrugged.

"Its nothing." I felt my chest tighten by saying that, but I honestly just didn't want to give any information away.

"It's gotta be something that you got all in my bubble for." He said jokingly. At least I think it was. I hope it was. I only stayed quiet.

"I saw the photo album on your kitchen counter. You were really cute-"

"Wait you looked through it?" I interrupted before he could continue.

"Its not like it was hidden or anything. It was on your kitchen counter." He said defensively. I rolled my eyes and looked down at the ring on my finger.