Chapter 33: Check Mate

Vic

I moved the red checker piece diagonal and over one of Sabrina's pieces and smiled.

"Asshole." She muttered and looked at the checker board, studying it. She picked up one of her pieces and held it before putting it back down and putting her hand on her chin.

She picked up another piece and did the same thing. The process repeated until she ended up getting annoyed and flipped the checker board off the table.

"Check mate bitch." She muttered and leaned her elbows on the table and smiled at me.

"This isn't chess Bri." I said smiling at her. She growled and slapped me upside the head.

"Callaté Victor." She said and shot a glare at me. I laughed and took a sip of my coffee.

"How's McKenna?" She asked next taking my empty Starbucks cup and throwing it out. My heart skip a beat and I smiled.

"She's good, she's good." I said nodding at Sabrina.

"Jaime told me that she's preggers." She mentioned. I nodded slowly and sighed. She gave me a confused look and slapped my cheek.

"Ow! What was that for?!" I said and rubbed my cheek as she scoffed and looked at me.

"You're being an asshole Vic, Jaime told me you were the one that announced it and everything." She said flailing her arms around in different directions, trying to get her point across.

"I wasn't expecting two of them!" I argued and laid my head on the table.

"Twice the fucking cuteness!" She yelled.

"Twice the responsibility." I muttered. She slapped my head while it was on the table and I lifted my head pouting.

"Damn it Bri you're so abusive." I said.

"Do you know how ridiculous you sound right now!?" She asked ignoring what I said about her.

"I-" she didn't let me finish before she was interrupting me again.

"You're head is so far up your ass you know that? A baby is a huge responsibility and if you thought you could handle one. What makes you think that two is bad when number one you're not single, number two you have a steady income, and number three you're nearly thirty fucking one." She ranted and slammed her hands down on the table. I had to admit, she was completely and totally right. I couldn't argue with that without sounding stupid.

I sighed and lowered my head as she said one last thing "and if you really think you're not ready than you should've kept your mouth fucking shut and wrapped your tool you fool." She said pinching my cheeks and getting up off of the stool and grabbing her phone off the charger and scrolling through it.

"Why are you always right?" I asked slapping myself and shaking my head.

"Because you're a fucking Dumbass sometimes Vic." She said locking her phone.

"Justin's gonna be back from the studio soon sooooo..." she trailed off and rolled her eyes.

"Oh! Ooooohhhhhhhhh ok! I get it! I'll be leaving now! Ok! Have fun!" I said awkwardly and got up off the stool and walked towards the door.

"Yeaaahhhhh..." she said walking me to the front door. "Text me!" She said as I stepped outside. I turned around and waved before she shut the door and I walked to my car silently.

I felt stupid as I drove home. I was the one who suggested this in the first place. I put myself in the situation. I didn't wrap my fucking tool.

I had to step up now, I had to mentally prepare myself for the arrival that is supposed to come in about six months.

I'm gonna be there and I'm gonna take on the responsibility. If I'm man enough to help bring someone into the world then I should be man enough to stick around and see how they turn out.

Then I realized something as I stopped at a red light. I need to stop hanging with Kellin so much.

McKenna

"But it's only November." The principle said as I stood in his office.

"Sir, I understand, but the doctor told me that since I'm carrying twins I have a 50% more chance of contracting preeclampsia. He just told me working wasn't smart." I said seriously and put a hand on my already growing baby bump.

It was too hot in here, where was the air? Does it exist? I pulled at the collar of my shirt and tried bringing air to myself, which I needed desperately.

"I have no choice do I?" I shook my head and gestured down to the note in his hands and yes I actually brought a fricking doctors note.

"McKenna, I can't give you the rest of your term pregnancy off and then maternity leave for the next year. I mean I could, but what would the point be? Do you understand where I'm coming from?" My heart lurched and suddenly dropped in my stomach as I realized what he was hinting too.

"So I can either lay you off if you follow through with this, or you can stay and just take maternity leave when you have the babies." He said pushing the note towards me again.

"You do have a point..." I said trailing off. At this point I didn't care what the doctor said, I needed the money. I couldn't support twins without an income. I nodded and took the note off the desk and ripped it in half.

"Of course, if you do end up in the hospital early I can't hold it against you. Just take it easy." The principle said as I nodded and walked out of his office closing the door behind me. I had my stuff with me and walked to my car.

My feet hurt and I had a headache from today. I just needed relaxation and sleep. Luckily, it was Friday, which meant I could relax for two whole days before going back to school on Monday.

The drive home was short as usual and I was soon gathering my stuff and walking towards Vic and I's apartment and placing the key in the door.

I was greeted by Vic with a kiss as he took my things and placed them at the door. "Goddamn woman, what's in that bag?" He asked as it made a big thump on the ground when he dropped it.

"You ask that same question every day and it's the same answer, my baton, music scores and lesson books for different instruments." I explained for maybe the hundredth time in my life.

"How are the babies doing today?" He asked placing his hands on my stomach and pulling me closer into him.

"As far as I know they're good, nothing too eventful. Except for those cravings." I said walking to the refrigerator and pulling out a bottle of water.

There was a knock on the door and I gave Vic a confused look as he shrugged. "I wasn't expecting anybody." He said. I nodded and walked towards the door. I looked through the peep hole and squealed in excitement.

"Wait! Who is it?" Vic asked. I waved him off and opened the door and engulfed him in a hug.

"I missed you." I said squeezing tighter. He laughed and rubbed my back as I pulled away.

"I missed you too Kenna." He said. He looked behind me and smiled at Vic.

"Now tell me baby girl, who's this?" He asked

"Dad, this is my boyfriend Vic."

An: BOOM YEAH! Surprise visit from the father! I think my writers block has been getting a little bit better.

You guys are awesome!

-Jenn Ω