Chapter 6: Here We Go

McKenna

I set my suitcase down and plopped down criss cross on the grass and sighed sadly. I haven't been in here in two years. I felt terrible. I laid the flowers down softly and stared. I kissed my fingertips and touched the cold stone despite the weather getting hotter the stone always felt cold.

"Hey mom." I whispered. I bit my lip and looked down, I never knew what to do in these types of situations, I was so bad at this. I just stared at the stone, reading it over and over.

Joanna Pamela Wesley

Beloved wife and mother

Born- January 18, 1973 Died- October 12, 2005

It was engraved in my mind. It was memorized to every little detail. Even the little flowers that decorated it. There were five petals on all of them except for one. There was four on that one and it was my favorite one since it was so different.

"I hope you're not mad at me about the ring," I said pulling up some dandelions around her grave. "I really didn't mean for it to happen, but I'll make it my life mission to find it. It means a lot to me and I'm still torn up about losing it." I said shaking my head.

"I hope you're proud of me graduating. I'm happy that I'm pursuing something you love so much." I looked down and my legs and sighed trying to keep the tears back.

"I leave today, but every time I come back to visit dad, I'll come up, I promise," I looked down at my watch and looked back up.

"My flight leaves in an hour and I still have to get through security checks so I have to go, I love you momma." I said. I kissed my fingers and touched her gravestone again and got up on shaky legs and picked up my suitcase. I stood there for a minute before turning away and walking towards my car and throwing my suitcase in and climbing into the drivers side and pulling away from the cemetery as fast as I could.

I never understood why she had to die that night. Never at all. The doctor said she was supposed to be ok with the chemo and medication, that she could live since it was still early stages. She didn't deserve the killer disease, she had a family to care for and a good job. A good life.

I wiped under my eyes while sitting in the parking lot and checking my eyes in the mirror. I got out of the car, grabbing my suitcase from the back and making my way to the entrance. There were multiple amounts of people here I almost didn't see the body collide into me.

"I'm going to miss you so much." Hailey cried into my shoulder as I was quick to hug her back and lay my head on her shoulder.

"Just, don't leave." She said sadly pulling away from the hug.

"You know if I had a choice to stay I would choose here in a heartbeat." I said sadly handing her the keys to my car for her to drive home.

"Ugh, I know." She said rolling her eyes. "Stupid jobs." She muttered.

"Just. Come visit a lot, who knows maybe I'll move out with you and find a lab to work in out in Cali." She said nudging my shoulder and smiling.

"You better, I'm gonna be so lonely all by myself." I said shoving her shoulder.

"Flight 782 to San Diego now boarding."

Hailey crushed me in a hug and sniffled a little.

"Call me and tell me if you land safe, don't talk to strangers, and fucking call me." She said pulling away while I walked to the boarding port swiftly.

"I promise." I mouthed and handed the lady my ticket.

"Have a great flight miss." She said handing me my ticket back after scanning it and letting me go inside. I muttered a quick thank you before finding my seat and resting near the window.

"Can I have your attention everyone?" I heard a flight attendant say over the speaker as I spotted a woman with a phone to her mouth. Everyone quieted down while she smiled and continued.

"Thank you for choosing American Airlines, California is a good three to four hours away from now so please relax and buckle up for take off." She explained as the plane started and I buckled the seat belt.

Take off was a little rough, but I couldn't complain, it's just how planes work. There was no one next to me, so I took that as my chance to stick my headphones in and fall asleep.

Vic

"Hey Vic, how was your night?" Sabrina asked when I turned around the corner, hungover and tired. I saw her smirk and groaned and sat at the table laying my head down on the cold counter.

"Shut up." I whispered and started falling asleep again before there was a loud bang on the counter making my head pound even more as I lifted it and glared at my best friend.

"Yes?" I said lowly.

"Take these and go upstairs and shower stinky, we're going apartment hunting today mi amor." She said handing me two pills and a glass of orange juice. I swallowed the pills quickly and got up from the stool, slowly making my way to the bathroom.

After my shower I sat on the toilet seat in a towel, I didn't have any change of clothes and I'll be damned if I'm wearing these clothes again. I sighed and got up walking out of the bathroom in my towel and right into Sabrina.

"Just who I was looking for." I said brightly as she stopped, she had a laundry basket in her hands and she was looking at me weirdly before slowly putting the basket down.

"Is there something wrong?" She said slowly as I realized I didn't say anything and slapped myself in the forehead.

"Yeah actually I--"

"Oh MY GOD VICTOR WHAT NOW?!" she said throwing her hands in the air.

"Bri I just need you run out to my car and-"

"YOURE REALLY FUCKING LUCKY I LOVE YOUR ASS FUENTES!" she started walking back down stairs mumbling loudly to herself.

"Making me walk down the fucking stairs all over again, get fucking clothes. Fucking naked boy." The door slammed and I started laughing at my best friend as she came back with a pile of clothes in her hands. It was just a regular white tee shirt and black skinny jeans. Along with the boxer briefs and socks of course.

"Thanks?" I said questionably wondering if she just grabbed random clothes.

"I'm not gonna just make you go out with no style. What kind of person do you think I am?" She explained putting her hand on her hip. I laughed and turned around walking back into the bathroom.

I got dressed quickly and brushed my hair out and opened the door swiftly and making my way downstairs to find my shoes, but they were no where to be found.

"Sabrina! Where are my shoes?" I asked turning the corner to see her making a sandwich.

"Don't you remember where you put them?" She asked smirking. I rolled my eyes and shook my head.

"Well you fell asleep on the floor, but woke up and came into my room freaking out." She took a deep breath and started to imitate me. "Did you know that you had a fucking shoe monster living in your fucking hallway? I had to put my Vans in the goddamned closet to keep them away from that creepy motherfucker! What's he got some kind of foot fetish or something."

"I do NOT sound like that!" I said folding my arms over my chest. She shrugged and finished making her sandwich and putting the ingredients away and walking out the door, but popped her head in when she didn't see me behind her.

"Why are you still standing there stupido let's fucking go." She said and walked away again, this time with me following her.

"Now let's look at those apartments!"