Chapter 22: Homesick

McKenna

I closed the car door and smiled up at the apartment complex. Home sweet home. Arizona will always be my home, but I've never missed San Diego so much.

"So this is home?" Jenna asked as she crutched her way over and stopped beside me looking up at the complex as well.

"For a while, yeah." I said looking down at her smiling, "C'mon let's go in." I said taking my luggage and her small duffel bag inside as she was panting from crutching the small distance. Poor girl.

"Please tell me there aren't any stairs." She said looking as tired as ever.

"Nope there aren't any stairs, I promise, we don't even have to take the elevator." I said smiling as I took out my keys and walked down towards the end of the hall. I stopped in front of A4 and stuck the key into the lock and opened the door dropping all of our stuff near the doorway.

"Vic lives right across the hall, it's about the same as mine. There's a guest bedroom down the hall." I pointed to the one next to mine and smiled. "And the bathroom is across from your room."

"Are you sure this is just an apartment. This is like a small condo." She said in amazement and sat down at the island counter, placing her crutches against it.

"Yeah that's what I said when I moved in." I said looking around.

"I miss them." She said suddenly. I snapped my head down from looking up and locked eyes with her.

"Vic? Tony?" I said, she shook her head and started playing with her hands.

"I mean, I miss them too, but I'll be seeing them in a week or two, but I'll never see my dad and little sister again." She said sadly. Suddenly I felt sad and walked into my room grabbing my laptop and walked back out and sat next to her.

"What are you doing?" She asked as she looked onto my screen.

"We're going to find your dad and little sister." I said simply. She smiled and looked up and crushed me in a hug.

"Thank you so much!" She said excitedly.

"Be careful." I whispered and ran my fingers through her hair. I got scared that something would happen during her sudden excitement. I quickly calmed down when she wasn't hurt and went on Google.

"Um? How do you do this?" I asked staring at the search bar and tapping my fingernails on the counter.

"Well you start with typing in that search bar there and-"

"Ha. Ha. Ha. So funny, I meant find someone miss sass." I said tapping her nose and turning back towards the computer.

"Try typing in his full name. Lucas James Yardley." She said shrugging I typed quickly and pressed enter to see the results pop up. I found a result that I thought fit, which strangely enough was a Facebook page and clicked on it.

"When was his birthday?" I asked staring at the date of birth they had.

"February 12th, 1984." She answered. I nodded and scrolled down more until I saw a post made two years ago, it was the last post that was made.

This is Jeanette, Luke's wife. I would just to thank everyone for the condolences we received. I'm sure Luke would've thanked you all right back, that righteous man. Our daughter Finley and I miss him very much. He'll always be in our heart.

R. I. P to Lucas James Yardley February 12, 1984 - April 9, 2011.

I finished reading and closed the laptop half way and turned to Jenna who had her phone in her hands and was staring at the computer wide eyed.