Chapter 27: Hell and Back

McKenna

The worst thing about losing someone you love is the funeral. I find it so difficult to just watch them be put in the ground because they're never going to wake up. You can dream, and you can cry about, but in reality that person won't have the ability to just start breathing again. That person won't be able to walk around with you and smile. That person is gone. Jenna is gone.

Tony stood next to me with a rose in one hand and his fingers intertwined with my hand that wasn't holding a rose. I let go of his hand and wrapped my arm around his and laid my head down on his shoulder and sighed.

Tony and I were the only ones speaking at her funeral because everyone around us were either band members from other bands she loved or "friends" from school. The rest of the guys were crying to hard to even get a word out.

Vic was cuddled with Jaime and Mike was crying into his girlfriend's shoulder.

"Tony Perry, the adoptive father would like to come up and say a few words now." The pastor said and stepped down from the little makeshift podium they gave him. Which was really just a step stool. Tony stood in front it and cleared his throat.

"I don't have a lot of memories with Jenna." He started.

"Unfortunately, I can't say that I raised her and watched her take her first steps. I didn't watch her run around in a fairy costume. I've seen her at her worst, then I've seen her happy. I'm going to remember all the fun times, because I'm determined." He said forcefully and then looked at the ground.

"Her legacy doesn't deserve the bad times to be involved in it. Murder or not, she didn't deserve this fate." He whispered. He walked around and dropped the rose on the closed coffin and stood next to me and pushed me forward slightly.

I sighed, trying to will the tears not to spring out of my eyes. I was short so I had stand on the podium and look at the people here today.

"For those of you who don't know me, I'm McKenna and I adopted Jenna with Tony, my best friend. The last time I did this was for my mom." I introduced and looked down.

"When I first met Jenna, She was huddled in a corner with Tony, Mike, and Jaime screaming about a spider." There was little laughter and that only caused Mike and Jaime to wail even more.

"The second time I saw her, she was in the hospital, recovering from being hit by a car." The more I was talking the more I realized she's been through hell and back to try and be happy.

"Jenna, the little 14 year old that she is, has grown to be my best friend, adoptive daughter or not, she's changed me for the better. It wasn't until she died that I realized how much I lost." I cried.

"I have my wonderful boyfriend Vic and he's everything to me, I have my job that I'm beyond happy with, I have my friends, but there's a void in my heart where my baby was and I can't fix it." I said tears streaming down my face and suddenly I felt a hug around my leg and looked down to see a little girl, just sitting on the ground holding my leg.

"I've learned to move on though, because if she's happy where ever she is, then I'm happy too." I kissed the rose and threw it to land into her coffin perfectly and looked down at the little girl around my leg.

"No cry." She said. She had short blonde hair and the biggest blue eyes I've ever seen.

"Copeland! Oh my God! I'm so sorry!" Where did I know this guy from?

"Don't apologize it's fine." I said nonchalantly.

"I'm sorry for your loss." He said as he picked up his daughter and the pastor came over to start prayer over her grave. I always hated when people said that, because I never really knew if they were actually sorry, or the concept of someone dying made them polite. Suddenly I remembered him from warped tour.