Chapter 21: Back Up Plans

McKenna

"Soooo?" I said as I stopped at a red light. Jenna and I decided to start our road trip early because she was sick of being in Arizona. Too many bad memories.

"Sooo?" She said tapping her fingers on the door of my car.

"How's your leg?" I asked taking my hand off the steering wheel momentarily and gesturing to her leg. She shrugged and rubbed the cast.

"It's fine, I can't really feel it to be honest." She admitted.

It was really awkward. I didn't know what else to say to her. I reached over and turned on the radio to drown out some of the awkward. I wasn't really paying attention to the song though.

"Can I hook up my phone?" She asked.

"Sure. Why not?" I said smiling. I stopped at a red light and opened the glove compartment, taking out the auxiliary cable.

"Actually you might not like the music I have, never mind." She said pushing it away as the light turned green. I stepped on the accelerator and dropped the cable in her lap.

"I'm always up to learn new music. So have at it girlie. Actually you know what? Show me Pierce The Veil!" I said cheerfully. She looked up at me and smiled plugging it in.

"Do you want to start with their first album A Flair for The Dramatic, maybe Selfish Machines, oohhhh what about Collide With The Sky?" She said scrolling through her phone. I shrugged.

"Surprise me." I said smiling widely. She nodded and tapped the screen and music starting playing.

They weren't bad. I liked their sound, the lyrics were amazing. I looked at Jenna and saw her singing along with the song.

You're my favorite explosion

A violin with no hands plays symphonies with no words

A drowning boy with no words prays that someone up there's telling me

YOU BETTER NOT GET BACK UP

I jumped little, but ended up smiling and looking at Jenna who whispered screamed along. I looked back onto the road and continued driving.

Spill my heart into this red cup

I'm gonna pick it back up it might ruin your night

"You know you sing really good." I said turning my head back and forth looking between the road and her. She blushed and hid her face muttered a small thanks.

"Vic would love to hear you sometime." I said tapping my fingers the the beat of the song.

"I'm mediocre at best." She whispered. I shook my head and pulled into a McDonald's that I saw and drove up to the drive through.

"Hello how may I take your order?"

"I'll have a mcchicken, a small fry and a vanilla milkshake please and," I turned to Jenna to see her shaking her head denying the offer. I turned back to the speaker and said "and a six piece chicken nugget please with another small fry." All the totals added up to about ten dollars and I pulled out a bill driving to the pick up window.

"I didn't want anything though." She whispered as we were waiting at the window.

The window opened and we were handed our bags with a smile.

"Thank you." I said and drove away.

"Yeah, I know, but it's another three hours until we reach San Diego so eat up missy." I said opened the bag and taking out my order and ate it as I drove.