Chapter 49: Throught the Centuries (End)

The news of the capture of Alter soon made the rounds of the various factions of the world that now claimed the opportunity to judge him for the crimes he committed. However, the three Biblical factions which were holding him captive were unwilling to hand him over to the other Pantheons.

The reason was not that Y/N had caught Alter, doing all the work, but that there would not be a fair trial. They wouldn't care that PENDRAGON gave his life to save Alter.

"I didn't think anyone would ever come to see me." Alter got up from his prison bed and walked up to the door of his cell. "What do you want, King of Knights?"

Artoria watched Alter, staring him in the eye. He sought a glow of repentance in Alter's eyes, yet there was nothing but indifference to his situation.

"When did everything begin?" Artoria asked him. "When did you start hating the supernatural to the point of wanting to destroy it?"

"You can ask Y/N," Alter replied, lying back on the bed. "I was created just for that. Of course, what I knew was wanted by Merlin, but not my feelings."

"..." Artoria remained silent.

Although she was glad it was over, she wanted to know more about Alter. Since he was a part of Y/N, maybe Alter could help her better understand her son. She wanted to understand above all what gave rise to Alter's hatred and indirectly that of Y/N.

"Alter, we can help you, yet help us find a way," Shirou said, almost as if begging himself.

"Did I ask for help?" Alter replied. "What I wanted was the fall of the Pantheons. Once this had happened, there were two paths: the survival or extinction of humanity." He sat down along the edge of the bed and stared at the floor. "He began to hate because of you, King of Knights. Behind the facade of the nice guy, Y/N hates you to the core. Have you ever wondered why he hid who he was until you came back?"

"He wanted to act more discreetly, didn't he?" Shirou replied perplexed.

Alter shook his head. "The person he hates is not Artoria Pendragon, but King Arthur Pendragon. His life was controlled by a legend far from glorious which had put him in the middle of a feud that had nothing to do with him. He wished to have full control over his life and rejected his legacy to obtain it and, by doing so, everyone knew him for who he is."

Artoria opened her eyes wide before sadly lowering her gaze to the ground, remembering when Y/N reprimanded her for having led Britain to ruin with her hands and decisions. She had simply declined him to a simple outburst due to nervousness, however, even considering what Rider had said, was she wrong?

"Why didn't he say that?" Artoria questioned herself more than Alter.

"Probably out of pride or hypocrisy," Alter replied, unsure of what the reasons were. "I think he didn't want to offend you, so he was deaf." A smirk spread across Alter's face. "Fortunately there was someone who understood and indulged him. That's definitely what saved him."

He was talking about Mordred and Martha.

"If you were satisfied with my answer, you can leave and... farewell," Alter said.

Artoria nodded and turned to the exit where Azazel was waiting for them.

"Before you go, if you see Jeanne, can you tell her that I thank her for everything she's done for me?" Alter said before the door to his cell turns grey.

Artoria and Shirou approached Azazel who guessed what they both wanted to ask him. "I'll let you know if there's any news."

Azazel honestly had no way of telling what would happen to Alter. Much depended on the requests of the other Pantheons.