Chapter 7: Fafnir

Dragons were the pinnacle of phantasmal species. They have members in all three classes of Magic Animals and are considered the largest species within each corresponding class. Because of their being monstrous, phantasmal, and divine class dragons, they have been involved with humanity since before the Age of Gods and have left many legends in the field of thaumaturgy due to having freely intermixed with humans in the past.

Dragons are creatures that generate magical energy merely by breathing, their lungs act as spiritual worlds and possess traits of other types of monsters. They each have an attribute and their most powerful weapon is their breath. Red dragons blow the flame, blue dragons blow the thunder, black dragons blow the acid.

The black dragon belonged to this case. The dragon that had appeared during the summit of the three biblical factions was Fafnir, the treacherous evil dragon who was killed by the Nibelung Hero Siegfried. The son of Hreidmar and brother of Regin, Ótr, Lyngheiðr and Lofnheiðr, he had returned to the human world after being hidden for centuries in the Reverse Side of the World.

The force that Fafnir emanated was something that even surpassed the leaders of the three Biblical factions. It was like the waves of an ocean during a storm: overbearing and unstoppable.

His very existence was overwhelming, and time seemed to stand still for everyone when the dragon made his appearance before the three biblical factions. Tall, proud, and menacing, he looked amused at the faces of everyone he considered inferior as he flew over the school.

If Katerea had only been little more than a little entertainment, the evil dragon of Saxon legend was a big problem. Y/N was not sure if Excalibur was enough to kill him.

Y/N's blood boiled as a warning as well as a certain sword stored inside the Reality Marble agitated in the presence of the evil dragon. He swallowed nervously while watching the dragon. When he had memorized Balmung weeks ago, he had also seen the story of Siegfried.

"Fafnir..." Y/N murmured as a drop of sweat fell from his forehead.

Everyone's eyes were wide open when they heard that name, especially Azazel.

Fafnir was the evil dragon of Saxon mythology who was killed by the Hero Siegfried in the Nibelungenlied. He was originally a dwarf, but because of greed he became a dragon.

The black dragon descended to the ground. A single wing beat was enough to create a small typhoon that pushed back all those present. He took another acid breath as the school began to show signs of failure. He was taking his time, enjoying freedom after spending centuries on the Reverse Side of the World.

Fafnir's gaze rested on the blond boy below him. He could sense in him the dragon element and also something else that made him giggle amused. He was powerful, but nothing compared to someone like him who was at the pinnacle of the Phantasmal Beasts. His existence was power at the end of the day.

He did not fail to notice the sword he wielded. Even for someone like him, it was impossible not to recognize that sword and this amused Fafnir very much.

Fafnir said nothing else after the declaration of challenge. He grinned at the sight of Excalibur. He breathed in deeply before releasing a poisonous puff against Y/N that again projected Rho Aias. Fafnir, despite keeping the flow steady, managed to break over half of the layers of Rho Aias causing excruciating pain to the magus.

"Father! Fox woman!" Mordred said with concern.

Artoria and Tamamo nodded. The King of the Knights and the Knight of Treachery ran towards Y/N while Tamamo threw up talismans from which ice was shot. However, Tamamo's witchcraft proved ineffective against dragon scales.