Chapter 32 - Rescue..?

(Minor Edits January 8, 2024)

- Boonstone POV - Mansion - 11:40am -

Looking down at my cap, I hold it tight in my hands. Closing my eyes I take a deep breath before putting it on. Reaching over to grab my daggers I turn to exit my hut, only to see my wife holding my son, worry clear in her eyes. "Why.. why are you going? Haven't you done enough in the Red Caps..?" She says with sadness evident in her tone.

Looking down to the floor I clench my fists. "I'm sorry.. The giant Emily was kind to all of us, I feel as if I owe her a service.. if I can be of use in her rescue than I will."

"But what about Canyo? If something happens-" She looks down to our infant son who's sucking on his small toy.

"I'll return love, I'll not leave our little pebble without a father." I give her a reassuring smile, walking to her I kiss her on her lips. Pressing my forehead against hers I look down to Canyo, leaning down I kiss his head as well. "I'll be back. I love you both."

"You better.. I love you too.." Tears brimming in her eyes as she watches me exit my hut.

Walking over to a group of Red caps, killing intent growing in their eyes.. We gnomes are normally a kind and loving race, we never resort to violence.. Unless you wrong us. Then the elder releases the red caps, Gnomes who have killed in the name of their tribe. True warriors.

"Elder Berry!" I yell out as I approach him, spotting the leader of the red caps. Sickener, The Beechwood Butcher.. . Named after the poison he makes out of mushrooms to coat his weapons.. The poor man.. His family was stolen away by humans to be used in a magic spell.. the humans killed his family and ground them up into a paste.. He couldn't get there in time.. he snapped and killed every human he saw as revenge.. until Elder Berry found him covered in blood, staring down at his children's remains with a lifeless stare.. Elder Berry helped him through the tough time in his life.. gave him a purpose.. Now he protects our Tribe.

"Yes Boonst-" Elder Berry stops mid sentence as he looks at me.. his face hardens as he stares at my cap. "No." He says in a firm voice.

"But-" I say before he cuts me off.

"You have a wife and young child. It would be wrong of me to allow you to do this.. Stay with the tribe and guard the gateway whilst the others complete their mission." My arms fall to my sides.

"No. I'm going, I know I gave up the Cap.. But the giant one helped us, so we should save her." Clenching my fists at my sides, Elder Berry sighs softly, shaking his head.

"Fine.. if I cannot stop you.. than go.. Come back in one piece." He says before bowing his head to me and walking away.

Sickener stands at the head of the group, holding his hand up to get out attention. We all look at him and fall into formation, each of us easily returning to our training. "The plan is simple. We enter through the earthfae mushroom portal, we will move in close to the castle. My second in command Falaichte (Hidden in Gaelic) will search the building for the giant one. Once she is found we will enact the second part of the plan.. Three of us will distract the guards giving the rest time to extract her. Should we fail or gain any unwanted attention our orders are to retreat." All of us nod in confirmation before he nods back. Walking up to a small fairy ring the farmers grew recently he sprinkles a special fertilizer only Gnomes can make over it.. The mushrooms begin to glow as the innate magic resonates. Bypassing Oberon's portal lock.

Holding his hand up he moves it in a silent 'Forward' communication. All of us slide up our masks before entering the portal.

- Fae Wilds - Emily POV - 12:30pm -