Chapter Twenty Two ~ What A Shot

It was almost time for the match, warm up had finished and we were being called up to wait in the tunnel. I was starting today as I had for many games before. Despite not being in the starting eleven for a while after I signed, I had managed to work my way up and it was now a big shock if ever I wasn't chosen.

I stood there between caitlin and Steph. Steph is basically my work mom. And I mean it, she will not hesitate to tell me off if I do something stupid but she's always the first one there, after Leah, to help me out when I need someone. We really were like one huge family.

"heard you've got a special someone watching today," Steph said, placing her hands on my shoulders.

"erm.. er- what?" I laughed and Steph began to laugh along with Caitlin who had heard the comment. "Stephanie you are not funny," I said folding my arms.

"ouch full name," she smirked before patting my shoulders, "happy for you kid," she said. I couldn't tell if she knew who the person was but either way, I knew the bullying was about to begin.

"Who told you?" I asked, remembering that this wasn't popular information.

"you need to get more in touch with social media," she said to which I became confused, "Have you not seen Ellie's story?" she said. I just shook my head, knowing that I couldn't look now with my phone being back in the changing room.

"i'll check later," I smiled at the thought of what she could have posted. Before I knew it, I was walking out onto the pitch, smiling as I took in the crowd around me. Although there were more united fans than arsenal, the gooners were definitely louder.

The game began strong, we had good possession and almost all of our passes were successful. one pass was so successful that it met steph just outside the box who then passed it to caitlin, leading to it landing directly at my feet right infront of the goal. That's when I took a strike and hit it home.

Running to the edge of the pitch, I tapped the badge and put a love heart to the fans, that's when I saw her. The one specific blonde I had been so excited to see me play. Scoring today meant even more. I blew a kiss in her direction, not caring who saw.

soon after I was crashed into by the rest of the girls before we continued to play. Just before half time, another opportunity opened up for us. The ball had made its way down the pitch to my feet but there was no way I would get it in the goal from here, so I passed to blackstenius who shot it right to the back of the goal. The crowd erupted in cheers as we raced to the edge of the pitch.

Finally the half time whistle went and we headed back inside. Remembering my conversation with Steph before the game, I pulled out my phone and checked instagram.

 Remembering my conversation with Steph before the game, I pulled out my phone and checked instagram

'My girl'

I smiled at the name. Of course it probably didn't mean anything like that, she calls Alex her girl all the time but it still brought butterflies to my stomach and a smile to spread across my face.

"seen it now?" A voice said, snapping me out of my daze. Someone sat next to me on the bench, it was Steph.

"Yeah I have," I giggled a little before meeting Steph's eyes. "She called me her girl" I smiled.

"Is she?" Steph said. The conversation was quiet so that no one else in the changing room could hear us.

"not yet... but I'm asking her after the game," I said, "it's not too soon is it?" I asked Steph.

"look, I don't know anything about you two or how long this has been going on, but I know you will know when the time is right... and if that feels like now, then do it, only you can make that decision Tara," the Aussie told me, placing a comforting hand on my knee.

"thanks steffy," I smiled, pulling her into a hug. see, always there to give me advice.

After our little conversation, it was time to head back out for the second half. This half remained calm with united only having one good shot at goal but it was stopped by manu. Nearing the end of the game, the ball was once again passed to me. I was still quite far from the goal but with no one to pass to I just shot it towards the goal. the chances of it actually going in were slim... but it wasn't impossible.

As the net rippled I stood in shock. the normal me who celebrates at the sidelines was glued to the spot. the girls jumped on me, also in shock.

"Jesus christ Tara!" Leah shouted over the crowd and I just laughed, still in pure shock, "I think the mrs is also impressed," she added. I looked over in the direction to see her jaw dropped. the small eye contact we had gave me butterflies and I smiled widely.

that won't be the only shot I'll be shooting today.

Another two minutes of playing passed before the full time whistle went and we had secured a nice three points.

Now was my time. To stop everyone from seeing the encounter between me and Ellie, I found one of the workers and asked them to guide ellie to just outside the changing room where I would meet her after signing shirts.

While signing shirts, I couldn't stop thinking about Ellie. Steph and Leah had both caught my gaze throughout meeting with fans and both gave me knowing looks.

As soon as the last shirt was signed I walked as quickly as possible to the changing rooms where I saw her stood there, looking as stunning as ever. My feet took control as I ran to the blonde and she lifted me off my feet.

"you were amazing out there," she smiled and I buried my head in her neck as she placed me down, "don't get pulling stunts like that against me,"

"can't promise you anything," I whispered, "Follow me," I said to the blonde, pulling her by her hand into one of the side rooms of the stadium.

"what are we doing in here?"

Instead of answering I pulled her down into a passionate kiss. she leaned further into the kiss, pushing me up against the wall as she did so. we stopped there and stared into each others eyes.

"Ellie," I whispered.

"yeah?"

"be my girlfriend?"

A/N: oops-  btw you're all so lucky i decided last minute not to include Leahs injury🫶🏼i'm in denial it happened so i don't want to write about it lols xxx