○eight○

●It was later in the day when the trio of mates were relaxing in their home. Rey'na and Aiyakan had left about twenty minutes after their children did.

Nayliä was telling her mates about her and her adopted sisters growing up.

"Ronal always teased Rey'na about everything. They would always fight over petty things but sometimes me and Rey'na would team up and hold her down while we tickled her. Her parents were very hard on her growing up so she developed a tough exterior. That's why we were shocked when Tonowari was able to get her to agree to a date."

Neytiri and Jake listened with much interest because they weren't used to hearing their mate talk about her childhood often.

"As you both know, I lost my parents around Neteyam's age. To this day I never learned what killed them. Tonowari's father made sure no one told me but he always told me they died as warriors. Whatever that meant, it didn't give me the closure I desperately needed. Even when I visited the spirit tree, I could never work up the nerve to try to figure out what happened to them. I was just happy to see them."

The woman had a sad smile on her face as she talked. Neytiri felt her heart break when she noticed the trail of tears going down her wife's face. Jake wrapped his arms around his crying mate and Neytiri joined the hug. This was one of the first times she had opened up about her parents and they appreciated it a lot. They noticed it was a sensitive topic and never pushed her to speak about it against her own will.

Nayliä relaxed herself in her mates' loving arms and was proud of herself for opening up more. They didn't have to share words but she knew they were proud of her too.

Nayliä pulled away first and gave a watery laugh as she wiped her eyes.

"I'm sorry, I just haven't spoken about them out loud in so long."

Moments like these reminded Neytiri that her mate had too lost a lot of things in her lifespan.

Jake reached out to gently wipe her remaining tears, "You don't have to apologize for showing your emotions, love. We're so proud of you for being vulnerable with us."

The woman tilted her head back with a mischievous smirk.

"I can think of a few ways I can be even more vulnerable in front of you two."

Neytiri smacked her forehead with a sigh. Leave it to Nayliä to find a way to make a dirty joke.

Jake laughed and kissed her forehead.

"This is why you're pregnant right now."

Nayliä made an offended noise and placed a hand to her chest.

"Hey! It's not my fault Eywa blessed me with such beautiful mates."

Neytiri rolled her eyes, "She should have blessed you with self control."

Nayliä opened her mouth to respond but a sharp pain cut her off. She clenched her hand closely to her chest.

"Something is wrong-" her body became unresponsive as it shook in an unnatural way. Jake and Neytiri scrambled frantically trying to figure out what had brought this on.

Nayliä's body suddenly stopped moving and slumped against Jake's arms. She was completely unconscious.

Neytiri's heart stopped as she gently shook her wife, trying to wake her.

Nayliä remained dead to the world.

Neteyam rushed to his home while holding an unconscious Kiri.