●thirty●

●A young Nayliä moved around her nearly empty marui. She packed her things up hastily as today was the day her squad would be making the long trip to the forest. Just three days ago word came to their village that Toruk Makto had returned and called for any warrior willing to join their fight with the sky people.

The Metkayinan people were hesitant in going such a far distance for a clan that they didn't have a strong bond with. So only few agreed to go under the permission of their new Olo'eyktan.

Nayliä was one of those brave people. Although the overwhelming fear of not having a purpose drove her the most. Her closest friends who she considered sisters were settling into new relationships and their roles while she just continued to live everyday the same.

She craved something different but she wasn't the only one. All of her hunting squad were following after her. It consisted of men and women who felt almost exactly the same. So it was her responsibility to lead them to their destination even knowing most of them wouldn't return. There was a soft knock that pulled her out of her thoughts. She wasn't surprised to see an even younger Rey'na standing before her.

Rey'na wordlessly stepped inside the pod and looked around at how empty it was. Her chest constricted painfully as she looked back at an equally silent Nayliä.

"Do you have to go?"

Nayliä sighed and nodded. Ever since she had declared she was leaving, Rey'na and Ronal had been trying to change her mind. Rey'na was more argumentative and pushy so they clashed more often.

"I know you don't understand but please don't let me leave with things like this between us. I just don't feel like I have a purpose for staying here anymore. And I can't stand this feeling of not belonging. Please tell me you understand."

"But you do have a purpose! You belong here with me." Rey'na clasped her shaking hands together to ground herself.

"And what about Aiyakan? You're just getting together and deserve to have a new beginning together."

Rey'na wanted to keep arguing but her words died in her throat. Nayliä was leaving and there was nothing she could say or do to make her stay. Before she knew it tears were falling from her eyes.

"Don't cry, okay? This won't be forever." Nayliä hugged the shorter woman tightly, already missing the way they connected.

"But what if something happens? What if you get hurt and-"

"Rey'na," she pulled away to look into her sister's eyes. "I'm going to return to you in one piece alright?" Her sister gave in and hugged her back saying hundreds of prayers that Nayliä would be okay.

Nayliä stood in front of Ronal and Tonowari. Both were recently put into their roles of Tsahìk and Olo'eyktan.

They were seeing the group off but Ronal was clearly having a hard time keeping herself together. She trusted Nayliä to be safe and keep the others in line but she didn't want to let her leave. Not for this reason at least.

Ronal grabbed both her shoulders, "If they try anything, you come straight home and we will handle it."

Nayliä giggled quietly, "You can't go to war over one person but I promise I'll return."

The Tsahìk huffed to herself but pulled Nayliä into one last embrace. She didn't doubt Nayliä's ability to take care of herself but that didn't mean she wasn't worried.

When they pulled away, Nayliä looked at Tonowari. He nodded at her firmly and reached to give her a quick hug before he also got too emotional. Their bond was one without words as they understood each other better that way.