S7 - Chapter Twenty Five - You're Not Welcomed Here

An entire week passed and we have been struggling to find supplies for Negan. Glenn and a few other members has been out on a supply run for the last couple of days as they had to go out further than usual to find more because there's nothing nearby.

Everywhere nearby has already been ransacked.

Another morning came to light and the twins were eating breakfast in the kitchen but there wasn't much for them to eat. It felt like we were going backwards once again and the days that we would go without food were starting to appear once again.

"We can try and make another supply run" I said giving Max a cup of water and he sighed.
"There's no point. They will just take it all anyway" He said tucking into his dry cereal.

"That can't take what we don't have" I told him but I knew that we will need to have something for Negan.
"What else is there to take, we are literally standing to eat" Miles stated as he leaned against the counter.

I sighed as I got lost in thought but got brought right back out of them upon hearing banging coming from the back yard, "What the hell is going on out there?" I asked with a frown and the twins looked at me.

"It's Mason" Miles informed me and I sighed.
"What is he doing now?" I asked walking around the counter and made my way to the back door.
"I'm not quite sure but he has been out there for the last couple of days" Max told me and I frowned.

"Why?" I asked and they looked at me fed up.
"I literally just said that I don't know" Max snapped before he shook his head then turned back to his cereal and I sighed, knowing how stressed he is.

"Why don't you guys go to school?" I asked and they both looked at me like I had lost my mind.
"How can we go to school at a time like this?" Max asked and I crossed my arms over my chest.

"Because there is never going to be a right time to go to school and it will keep you distracted" I told them and they both sighed, shaking their heads, "When was the last time you read a book?" I asked Max, "Or the last time, you learnt about the history of the world" I added pointing at Miles this time and they both looked at each other for a long moment.

"I mean, The older kids are in another house so it's not like we have to go to school with the little kids" Miles stated and Max sighed before pushing his bowl away then he turned to face me fully.

"Fine but only because we agreed to go before this happened" Max told me and I nodded my head.
"Now go because you'll be late" I said looking at my wrist that doesn't actually have a watch on it.

"You're such a geek" Max commented slightly amused before the two of them left the kitchen.

"Have a good day!" I called out but the only response I got back were the opening and closing of the front door, "Okay" I said looking out into the backyard.

Mason had scrap pieces of wood and he were sawing away at a long pieces that he held down with his knee. He looked so focused on what he was doing but I could see the tension in his shoulders, he were struggling and not with the task at hand.

He was struggling with the new ways of the world and so were the twins. We all were and I refuse to believe that we will be living like this for the rest of our short lives. I wanted to talk to Mason but it seems that whatever he were doing was keeping him distracted so I decided to leave him to it.

I'll try and catch him another time.

I took a deep breath before making my way through the empty house and out the front door where I took a good look around the community. It seems that the atmosphere has changed and it might not go back to the way it was. People felt safe and they went about their day like the world hasn't ended but now reality has come to our own front door, the people are feeling the unsteadiness of the new world. It made it just that much harder for our group to reassure  them because we didn't feel safe ourselves, anymore.