Friends

Chapter 03:

It was the evening, the stormy wind was hitting the wall and the trees were swinging with them. The dust was all around. Soon, the heavy rain started. Avni and Neil were inside the home and they heard the sound of raindrops so they turned their face to the window.

Avni: and here it started.

Avni and Neil looked at each other and smiled.

Avni: come, sit. Do you want water?

Neil sighed.

Neil: yeah.

Avni smiled and said ok. Neil passed a smile to Avni. Avni turned and she went to the kitchen side and her kitchen was an open and attached kitchen. Neil looked around and he saw Avni’s childhood picture with her mother on the wall and a picture frame was kept on the table near the couch. Neil thought that why there is no picture of Avni and other family members.
Avni came back and gave a glass of water to Neil.

Neil: thank you.

Neil moved a step to the couch and sat on it. Neil drank the water and Avni moved to the kitchen and Neil saw that while drinking water. Avni took milk from the fridge and Neil saw that.

Neil: what are you doing?

Avni looked at Neil and then she looked at the pan and smiled.

Avni: making tea for myself.

Neil was stunned. Neil thought and Avni smiled to see him while pouring milk in the pan. Avni looked at the pan and was smiling. Avni took the onions and then the knife. She started cutting them. Neil looked at the home and got up. Neil moved.

Neil asked while looking around: you live alone here?

Avni: yes, why?

Neil stopped walking and he looked at Avni.

Neil: nothing.

Neil turned and thought to go to Avni.

Avni: I was shifted from here years ago and now I have come back here for my job.

Neil asked while coming to Avni: oh and your family. Where is your family?

Avni stopped cutting the onion and she thought. She felt like Neil hit her heart with a sharp instrument. The tea boiled and fell. Avni and Neil looked at it. Avni slowed down the gas and stirred the tea. Neil was looking at the tea and then he looked at Avni. Avni looked at Neil.

Avni: I don’t have a family.

Neil was shocked at first and then he felt bad for Avni.

Avni: I was 10 years old when my mama passed away.

Neil felt bad.

Neil: I am sorry.

Avni smiled.

Avni: it’s ok.

Neil smiled. Avni kept a pan on the stove and poured oil into it. Neil was thinking something and he looked at Avni. Avni was keeping the batch of fritters in the pan.

Neil: and your father? Where is your father?

Avni kept the bowl on the counter and she was shocked. Avni looked at Neil and she took the knife in her hand. Avni clenched the knife in her fist. Neil frowned to see Avni’s expression. Avni looked at Neil and then she looked down. Avni looked at Neil and smiled fakely. She poured tea into the cups and took the tray. Avni looked at Neil.

Avni: curious to know about me, han.

Neil was surprised to hear Avni’s reply. Avni smiled and went to the living area and Neil was looking at her. Avni kept the tray of cups on the table and Neil came to her. Avni again went to the kitchen and put the fritters on the plate from the pan and came back to Neil. Neil was sitting on the couch and Avni sat on the large couch.