2, Goodbye, My Happy Ending

7 years later...

The darkened gray blanket of wool enshrounded the sky; like a predator will encircle it's prey. The wet season wasn't supposed to start for another couple of weeks but the darkened gray smudges were a clear indication of rain. A low rumble rang loud in the cold air, startling her a bit.

Trickles of liquid fell down as if they couldn't think of anything better to do. There was a bit of laziness about them.

A lone figure clad in a metallic t-shirt and worn out jeans, sat down in the dark old basement brushed with grains of sand. Her skin was bruised, completely battered and severely injured, blood oozing out her temple. The entire basement was dark except of the single exception of the shiny diamond infinity sign bracelet around her wrist which shun under the small light from the room above her.

She hummed to her herself, brushing her fingers through the purplish black eye and the small cut on her forehead. Not felt right for her.

Placed next to her was a small written note, fallen out of her azure fluffy diary.

'I guess it was just wishful thinking on my part that I spent years waiting for a happy ending.

Now.... I'm just too.... Tired'

The note was short but she had embosomed her heart felt feelings inside. Feelings she was too scared to say it out loud.

When the diffused grey light of dark sky pushed light, it fell on the lone woman, light passing through the small window up in the middle of the room. As the cold wind stroked her body, she shivered instinctively but didn't move.

Her fake star blue eyes were desolate and listless. Her light  brown skin was getting a rosy charm because of the chilly air that constantly assaulted her body.

She continued humming, carefully listening to the dripping of the rain. The pitter-patter of the rain drops mixed with the sad melody she hummed was oddly comforting.

She could remember reading somewhere 'One day, your life will flash before eyes, make sure it's worth watching'

Was her life worth watching? She wondered to her self before sneering at her ridiculous thought.

'Grace Sommerville, don't be delusional. You're nothing more than a split brat and an entitled little bitch. Who cares that you're the abused daughter of two druggies?' A mocking voice ran in her mind 'Look, you just proved again that you're just a useless piece of shit and merit nothing but death for being what you are. Let's see for how long you can keep on with all this'

Was she really a bitch?

She had worked her whole life, trying to provide money for their food while they went to casinos, partied like wild animals and went for orgies. Never once had she thought about herself because she had finally learnt that she could never put her self first in life and always put her parents as a top priority. Whatever they gave her, she had receive it and accept it especially the beatings and her way of making up for it was by providing them the money needed.

'Grace, you're really nothing but a piece of trash. I once wanted a child but when I got you, you made me lose every interest or love for ever wanting any more. I give you a roof, food, shelter and clothing but you can't pay that back by working for me?! What crime did I commit to being stuck with an ungrateful and useless daughter like you?'

Her mother's piercing words echoed in her mind.

She was a product of a broken family. And she had a broken life, striving to survive her bruises and broken desires. But in the end, even he left her with a broken heart.

Her status was far above his own and she knew that from the very beginning but she couldn't help her overwhelmed heart from rejoicing at the thought of having a.... best friend.

He said ' Grace, you're my bestfriend' and the naive her believed him.

He said 'I will get you out out of there' and she even believed him.

He said 'If there's one girl who deserves to be in my life, is you Grace' Silly her! She actually believed every word he told her.

Perhaps, she need a wake up call. Oddly, the wake up call was too much for her fragile heart to take.

She laughed at her own self in a scornful and contemptuous manner. Not knowing when that laugh turned into a streak of tears that flowed softly and steadily down her freckled cheeks. She covered her mouth to stop the sobs from escaping. But for how long could someone hold a buried ache.

Getting older enough, she went around playing with guys. Got a bestfriend and believed all his words because he seemed to be the first genuine person. Now she did not only lose him but reality downed her back into the broken home she can from, the savagely battered body she had and she became more conscious of her body.

On the cold floor, her eyes were closed and as if she could hear all of his words, her mother's insults and shouts and recalled her father's constant beatings, she stood up, picked up her diary and teddy bear and ran out of the basement.

She didn't bother hurriedly glancing around the small bungalow house, knowing they were out at the casino by this time at dawn and walked out and ran.

Was she running? She didn't know exactly whether she was running away from home but she just kept running. She ran pass alleyways, roads, people, crowds which she was afraid of and all gave her looks. Noticing the black eye and wondered what was wrong with the little girl.

Soon enough, she saw the old run down apartment across the streets and the wide road. She took a step forward, letting the cold wind and rain wash her down. To her numb pain that had been gnawing at her heart. The world didn't matter.

What broken her was his words...

No matter how hard she tried she was never good enough for anybody, even for him though flattering words. Was the relationship between them shallow? It was is fragile that he couldn't even give her one thing she asked for; friendship!

As the rain drops tickled down her body, drenching her; she stood rooted. Not moving at all anymore or not letting herself feel anything. She shut all the sound and sighed softly.

'I wonder if you will miss me if I'm gone. I wonder if you will believe in me once I'm no more' wondering to herself, cars passing by her.

She walked through the road, cars howling at her to stop with her careless way of crossing but she didn't care. A car light flashed in her face, the man inside it saw a small portion of her black eye and the infinity bracelet in her hand and gasped in shock.

She continued walking and finally crossed the roads, receiving stares from the car drivers. She quickly ran into the building, into the roof top of the fifteen floors building. Everything seemed surreal in the dark; overshadowed by the gray clouds.

Closing her eyes gently, she smiled in satisfaction. She slumped her body ahead and the next second, she felt a strong wind slapping her face as her body started falling fast.

"Goodbye, my happy ending" a soft whisper left through her pale trembling lips.