3, Free From The Past

The darkness had surrendered as the sun rose as a canopy of gold, blooming like a flower in the horizon. Every tinge of dark charcoal slowly changed it colour to vibrancy. It was the break of dawn... Dawn of endless possibilities, new hopes and a desire to make those dreams come through which the previous night had left behind.

In the white linens sheets, a tall and slender body slowly laid up, feeling a clothe or bandage wrapped around her head. Her body felt numbed to her feet for a while before quickly coming to consciousness. The bright light shun into her right eye, the other being covered.

"You're awake" a nurse said shocked " She's awake!" She shouted again, startling her and pressing on the red button next to her.

Her mind was blank, her memories still trying to register back after the long deep slumber.

A rush of doctors burst into the room and looked at her with a small smile.

"You're indeed awake" The doctor said.

"I told you, Doc" The nurses teased.

"Let's remove the bandage" the doctor stated, advancing towards her. She felt overwhelmed by each of their presence and jumped back, afraid and fearing the worst.

"We just want to removed the bandage around you head" the nurse explained, picking up a scissors and cutting through the white bandage. They both removed all the bandages; she gasped at her appearance in the mirror given by the nurse.

She spent that moment to sink in, to soothe her very core with those nascent rays that softly caressed her skin. She was fascinated by the beauty of this tranquillity that seemed to have filled her and the warmth she felt, reminding her once again that... She was alive.

She tucked a strand of her still deep wave mocha brown baloyage behind her ear. The girl in the mirror still seemed like the girl from before from the features except of a slight definite difference; her eyes.

Her lapis and winter grey heterocheomic eyes differed with her star blue contacts but she didn't know that. The nude lips, smooth, clear and delicate skin of her face didn't seem like hers, each shattered piece would weigh down on her soul like a tremendous boulder. It weighted her so much that she eventually let herself nearly fall to death.

"You have to speak to the police to identify yourself. You've been in a coma for 2 years after an unknown accident" the doctor explained.

"Who am I?"

The nurse gasped, looking down at the small kid next to her.

"Let's do some test"

Two hours passed in a way that made her fell like slow motion. The doctor and nurses did some test, attaching all sort of different machines to head before taking her back to her bed.

"You are fine. We did a surgery two years ago for your sepsis infection, did a rip cage and occurred every needed surgery to correct you body but we still need to get an explanation for all those... But you have amnesia. Your memories will be gotten back with time or maybe... Not. It's going to be better with a triggering object but that will be difficult to find" The doctor explained.

She rubbed her temple "What's my name?"

"That's a question for you to answer" he replied, slipping his hand into his pocket and removing a bracelet "This was around your wrist when they brought you here. There was also a teddy bear and a lock chain dairy"

She took it and stared at the diamond infinity sign. Some small information flashed in her mind, a name- Grace but she didn't know the surname.

"G-Grace..." She said softly in a low whisper "My name is Grace" she said.

"The surname?"

She shook her head, nothing, wearing the bracelet.

"Then you will need to be placed in an orphanage for a while until the DNA test results are out but you will need to come for some other test weekly. You have a rare condition which make your bones very weak and the accident caused you retarded growth" he said "Nothing more?"

She shook her head.

He nodded and walked out as the nurse walked back in with some clean clothes and walked back out.

She silently got dressed into the long sleeve baby blue gown, tying her hair into a ponytail and wore the pair of black sandals.

The nurse came back in with a police officer and social worker who introduced himself as officer Thibualt and Lilia, who happens to be his newly wedded wife.

"Come on" she said, holding out her hand. She shook her head and walked on her own, striding on front of her with her head bent down on instinct.

Everything happened in slow motion in her eyes. People passed and turned to her, glancing her looks and she seemed bothered by all of it. Her appearance and flaws overloaded her mind like before.

Sunset Canyon Orphanage.

The huge signboard read out. She stared at it before walking in with Lilia by her side. The head mistress, Mrs Merkel came up to them and showed her shared room with another girl, Charlotte.

Charlotte was a brunette, having beautiful evergreen eyes and fair skin. Everything about her seemed beautiful, calm and composed but those facts made her want to get away from her for the better.

"Hey" she greeted with a smile and wave.

"Hey..." Grace replied in a low tone, glancing at her.

"What's your name?"

"Grace"

"I'm Charlotte" she smiled.

It was time to pick up another piece of her heart. She didn't know it yet and neither did she understand the conditions which took her to the hospital. The funny thing was, she didn't even want to know what happened. She didn't want to experience it and have a traumatic flashback, she wanted to pick up the pieces, sure but she wanted to do it safely and without injury.

"I love your eyes" Charlotte commented "My mom's eyes were grey too, I took over my dad's"

"Must have looked good on him" Grace replied in a broke low tone "Judging from how you are"

Charlotte chuckled, getting up from the bed "I'm the mixture of both. My mother's hair and nose and my father's eyes and skin tone" she chuckled "What about you?"

Grace shrugged, hugging herself with a small intake of breathe "I don't know" she replied.

"Ohh... Sorry" Charlotte replied, tucking her hair away "I hope you don't get too bored with me as your roommate, I'm not very exciting"

Grace shook her head.

As if it mattered.