Chapter 13: I have a crush

Saffron Abram's POV:

As I walked back to my hotel that night, my heart was racing with excitement. I couldn't stop thinking about Erynn. Her smile, the sound of her voice, and the way she looked at me had all left a lasting impression. I was touched with the way she got concerned over me and how she insisted that I take a cab, which I did but not all the way to my hotel. You could say I have trust issues with strangers, but that's a story for another time.

I greeted the doorman and entered the 5-star hotel I was staying at, courtesy of the company of course. All the way up my room, I kept thinking about tonight, but as much as I wanted to explore this newfound connection, I knew I had to tread carefully. I had made a promise to myself to keep my personal and professional life separate, and I didn't want to risk jeopardizing my career.

As I lay in bed that night, I found myself grappling with these conflicting emotions. On one hand, I felt like I had finally found someone who truly understood me and made me feel alive. On the other hand, I knew that pursuing a relationship with them could have repercussions for my job.

I know thinking about this alone will get me nowhere and there's no better person to talk to other than one of my best friends right? So I plopped down on top of Madiha's sleeping form, startling her awake.

"What the heck?" She groggily complained, turning over to look at me. I laid down beside her with my elbow propped up supporting my head. Madiha rubbed at her eyes and almost fell back asleep, thinking I just wanted to sleep next to her. So I slapped her.

"Oww! What was that for?" Now wide awake, Madiha adjusted until she's halfway sitting up, rubbing her reddening arm. I tried to be gentle though? She's too sensitive.

"I have a problem." I stated, looking directly at Madiha.

"A problem problem?"

"Yes...The kind where I might lose my job." I sat up crossing my legs and fully facing a serious Madiha.

"Shit Saff, didn't you get to do the interview earlier? Did you offend somebody? Talk to me, what happened?" Madiha held both my hands loosely in her own, I can feel her anxiousness radiating off of her tone.

I sighed and squeezed her hands, "It's not that. The interview went perfect actually. Too perfect if I say so myself."

"Too perfect? So what's the problem?" Madiha let go of my hands and copied my sitting position, looking so confused and sleepy at the same time.

I took a deep breath and said "I think I have a crush."

I looked at Madiha, waiting for her reaction. I started playing with my fingers and getting anxious by her silent stare and unmoving body.

"Madi? You okay?"

"Can-can you please repeat that?" Madiha finally moved, blinking repeatedly at me before scrunching her eyebrows.

"I said I think I have a crush."

"Good night." Madiha suddenly replied and started laying back down, turning away from me.

"Madi? What?" Confused as ever, I started shaking her shoulders and she kept swatting my hands off. "Hey wake up! Didn't you hear me? Madi!" I shoved her as hard as I could that she fell off the bed.

Standing up from the floor, Madiha dusted off her pajamas and glared at me, crossing her arms, she said. "Did you seriously wake me up just to tell me you have a crush? This can't wait 'til morning Saff?"

I sheepishly grinned at her and scooted over the bed, patting the space next to me. I sat with my back on the headboard and waited for Madi to sit down.