Chapter 27 2/2 : She moved on

Erynn's POV:

I parked outside Saffron's house and watched from a distance, feeling more nervous than I had in a long time. I waited for my nerves to calm and watch for signs of Saffron being home. I should have asked Madi instead of rushing here. I thought, feeling foolish for waiting at an empty house.

As I was about to leave, a car pulled up next to Saffron's house and a man got out. To my surprise, Saffron emerged from the passenger side, laughing and chatting with the man as they walked towards the house, his arm draped casually around her shoulders.

A knot formed in my stomach, and a mix of emotions flooded my mind. I desperately tried to compose myself, I almost got out and confronted them but I promised Madiha I wouldn't do anything stupid. So I took a deep breath. I leaned back in my seat, tucking a strand of hair behind my ear.

As I observed them from a distance, I couldn't help but wonder who this guy is. There's familiarity in their interaction, a casualness that implied they've known each other for awhile now. A pang of jealousy surged through me, but I quickly reminded myself that I have no right to feel possessive anymore. We had broken up, after all.

Coming here, I had hoped that Saffron is still single, still pining for me as I am for her. But it seemed that she had moved on. I couldn't bear to see her and potentially ruin what happiness she had found, So with a heavy heart, I shifted my car into gear and slowly drove away, I silently left without Saffron ever knowing I had been there.

——————xx————-

I drove aimlessly through the city, my mind clouded with a mix of hurt, anger, and longing. The image of Saffron getting out of the car with that unknown guy replayed over and over, reinforcing my insecurities and igniting a fire within me.

Not knowing any better, I parked my car outside a dimly lit bar, its neon sign flickering "Open". Stepping inside, The deafening music and the chatter of the bar provided a fleeting sense of distraction as I made my way to the counter. I ordered a strong drink, hoping it would dull the sting in my chest.

As the night wore on, I found myself drowning my sorrows with drink after drink, losing myself in a haze of regret and longing. The room spun, and my vision blurred. I didn't notice the woman who had been observing me from across the room.

Suddenly, a pair of familiar eyes appeared before me, and it was as though time had stopped. Saffron is standing in front of me, reaching out to caress my cheek. Without hesitation, I leaned in, craving the touch that had been absent from my life for far too long.

I wrapped my hand around the back of her neck, deepening the kiss. I ran my other hand up her bare back, pulling her closer to my chest. She tasted different, but it still made my head swim.

Before the kiss got more intense, a jolt of awareness came crashing down on me like a tidal wave. She tastes different. This isn't Saffron. Reality shattered my intoxication-fueled fantasy, and I jerked away, my heart heavy with disappointment.

"I'm sorry... I thought..." I stammered, my voice filled with regret, but the words barely escaped my lips.

The woman's expression shifted from annoyance to concern as she realized the depth of my distress. "It's okay," she spoke gently, offering a comforting smile. "Take a breath."

I forced myself to take a deep breath, summoning the last fragments of sobriety to regain control. Feeling a surge of clarity amidst my clouded mind, I gathered my strength and stumbled away from the bar. "I'm sorry..."

I went out the backdoor and the night air hit me like a cold shower, snapping me back to reality. I knew I had made a mistake, almost allowing myself to replace Saffron with a mere illusion.