Destiny

Trigger warnings:- Mentions of sexual harrasment, rape. So, if you are uncomfortable with that, then I suggest you not to continue with the story.

††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††

Sometimes the road of life takes an unexpected turn and you have no choice but to follow it. But I made my choice. I chose not to follow it. Life has a funny way to show you your real value. I saw it five years ago and left the only place which was supposed to be my home.

************************************

"Hello, am I talking to Ms Reynolds?"

"Yes, you are."

"I suppose you gave an interview for the designer position at Hephaestus?"

"Yes."

"Congratulations. You got the job. You can start on Monday. It will be your orientation day. My name is Andrea Stevens from HR. Tell my name at the reception and they'll let you in at the HR floor and from there I'll guide you. A temporary entry card will be provided to you till you get your permanent one. It will be a pleasure working with you."

The best news after a long time. I was trying for this position since I started living in New York two years ago and finally, I got it.

"The pleasure's all mine. Thank you so much for offering the job. I'll prove myself in the company."

"I hope so too. See you on Monday."

I was over the moon. Finally, things will fall into place. I'll be able to move out of this shitty neighbourhood and this studio apartment which is smaller than a dog house. Then my phone started to beep.

"Hello, girl."

"What are you? Mind reader? I was just going to call you."

"Why? What happened? Did you finally decide to come out of your celibacy?"

I rolled my eyes. "Not planning shortly. But there is news."

"Stop beating around the bush."

"I got the job at Hephaestus."

"What? Are you serious?"

"Very."

"This calls for a celebration. I'll come down to your house. Let's get drunk."

"God, Olivia. You want me to have a messy headache on my first day?"

"Stop being a party pooper. Today is Saturday. You will have a full day to cure your headache."

"Fine."

We giggled and hung up. Olivia has been my pillar since I came to New York. We work at a small boutique. She's the receptionist and I worked as a designer there. I don't know anything other than designing and drawing. We clicked from the very first day and became really good friends. Survival in this monster of a city would have been difficult without her.

We enjoyed our time together and in a blink of an eye it was Monday. I wore the most professional clothes I had in my wardrobe. A white silk blouse paired with a black pencil skirt and the only heels I own. Luxury has never been an option since I left home. I lived like a fucking princess and then one thrashing from life and I got the reality check.

I reached Hephaestus sharp at eight. I gave my name to security and got my temporary card. I met Ms Stevens at the HR floor.

"Hello. I'm Destiny Reynolds."

"Yes. Ms. Reynolds. This way."

"Please call me Destiny."

"Fine then call me Andrea."

She smiled at me. She was in her mid-forties and drop-dead gorgeous. Her attire screams fashion. An ideal employee for such a big fashion house.

The building was beautiful from the outside as well as the inside. Thirty floors and the employees had only access till the twenty-eighth floor. The two uppermost floors were only for the executives. Every floor was a different part of the whole company. The cafeteria looked like a five-star restaurant. I'll not be shocked if they have Michelin-star cooks. There was a gym for the employees and a daycare so that the parents can look after their kids without missing on their work. It showed the real care for the employees. I was taken to the twenty-eighth floor to show my workplace.

"Destiny, you'll be sharing this area with three more employees. They have still not arrived but I hope you'll be able to settle with them. One of the best teams in our organisation. For the time being, let's go to the executive floor. The boss wants to meet the new designer."

I was a little taken aback. Usually, the bosses are not interested to meet a mere designer but I guess everyone is given equal respect here. We went into the elevator and Andrea punched a special card for the access. When the elevator door opened the computers were working sluggish and there were few people because it was still early for work. I'm pretty sure there's a rush on this floor around noon.

We went straight to a cabin whose blinds were down. I was nervous but I knew that I can't lose this job. Not at any cost. Andrea knocked at the door and a deep male voice came from inside welcoming us. She opened the door and nodded her head and then pushed me inside and I was stunned. The person who was sitting right in front of me was not a stranger. I knew him very well or maybe that's what I believe. But I was not expecting him to be my boss. My ex's elder brother. Noah Anderson.