chapter 3

the next morning.

I get up and get ready for the day. I walk over to change into my gym clothes, and grab my headphones. I enter the living room, and to my surprise find my parents sitting in the living room.
"Oh. Buenos días" I say and walk over to greet them.

I know I can be a bad daughter, but I'm not disrespectful.

They both give me a kiss and smile. I'm already caught off guard by them not immediately lecturing me.

"How was your trip?" I ask as I sit in front of them.
"Good, you know- well I forgot you don't watch. But your brother won-"
"Yeah, P4 I know. I watched" I smile.
My parents both look in shock.
"You did?" My mom smiles.
"Yeah, of course. But I should head out on my run I'll be back" I say to them as I stand up.

I make my way outside, turning my music on and beginning my run. It's a very nice day out, sunny but not too hot.

____

I get back from my run and walk straight to my room and to take a shower. I change into my clothes for the day, and brush my hair. I walk back out to the kitchen to hopefully find something to eat. I open the refrigerator, and suddenly feel hands covering my eyes. I freeze, and turn around slowly. They move their hands away, and there stands Carlos.

"Carlos! I can't believe it's really you" I say, I can't help but cry as I jump into his arms.
"Te extrañe hermanita" he says kissing my forehead. He sets me down and I pull him into another hug.
"I'm so happy you're here Chili. I thought you'd stay to celebrate with the team" I say.
"Si, but I also wanted to come and see you. It's a special day for you tomorrow" he smirks, referring to my birthday.
"Very true" I smile back.
"So, what are we eating?" He laughs. I shake my head and begin to take out the Ingredients I'll need to make some pancakes.
"I'll help you" he says as we begin to mix everything together.

My parents walk in, and my mother has the biggest smile.
"Aw. This is so sweet, I missed seeing you two together" she says pouting. Carlos gives me a side hug, and kisses my head.
"I just got here, and she's already putting me to work. Sounds just like younger Tina" Carlos laughs. I playfully roll my eyes and smile.

"Food is almost ready, go take a seat" I say to my parents. They look at each other and shrug as they walk away.

Carlos and I grab plates and walk over to hand everyone their own plate. It's been so long since we've been able to do this, and honestly I'm so happy. We're only missing Blanca.

"So what are we doing for tomorrow?" Carlos asks looking up.
"Nothing, I was just planning on going to dinner with Fernando" I reply.
"What? Why? It's your birthday you should celebrate with your family" Carlos says, confused.
"Well papa didn't think I deserved a celebration so.." I shrug. My father clears his throat.
"Of course you don't. Your behavior hasn't been the best lately" he says. I roll my eyes and continue eating.
"Well I'm sorry, but I didn't come all this way for no party" Carlos says trying to ease the tension.
"Let's just do something simple then" my mother says. I look over to see my fathers reaction, he shrugs and nods.
"Okay" he finally says. Of course they do whatever Carlos asks. But either way I'm content with a celebration.
I cheer and hug Carlos.
"Thank you thank you" I say looking to my parents as well. We continue eating and things start to feel more like normal.

____

It was now afternoon, and by now my parents had to head out for a meeting. Carlos is in his old room, taking a nap, and I sat outside by the pool.

Gloria walks out suddenly and turns to me.
"Señorita, Fernando is here to see you" she says.
"Gracias, let him out here please" I reply. She nods and smiles.