chapter 14

"LET ME GO!" I'm awaken by the nightmare I just had. I get up, and I feel my heartbeat quicken and my forehead get sweaty.

"Tina, Tina, it's okay. Estas bien " Carlos rushes into my room and pulls me to his side. I cry into his chest as he rubs my arm.
"Estas bien. You're safe with me" he kisses my forehead and takes a deep breath.

He holds me in his arms as I try and relax my breathing and eventually calm down.

"Carlos, I'm sorry about not telling you-"
"Tina. It's late. Let's talk tomorrow okay? You need your rest" he says to me. He hands me a glass of water.
"This will help for your hangover" he hands me a pill. I take the pill and drink the water.

"I'll stay with you, so you can get some rest" he says laying beside me.
"Gracias chili. Te quiero" I smile as i instantly feel safer. I end up falling  asleep quickly.

____

I wake up early, with a minor headache. Luckily the pill worked so I don't feel terrible. Carlos isn't in bed anymore, but I hear noise in the kitchen. I finish the water I had, and walk out to the kitchen.

"I didn't mean to wake you" he says sitting on the stool.
"It's fine" I reply.

I can tell he's worried about me, but also upset. I can't remember now exactly how I got here, I just remember lando being here. So I know Carlos must be upset about that too.

"So, we should talk" he clears his throat.
I nod and stand in front of him, across the counter.
"I don't remember much, but-" I begin to say.
"I bet you don't. Valentina, you know better than this. I mean I know you deserve to have fun and all, but it's important for you to be safe too. It's not like you to go out and drink irresponsibly" he says. I begin to hear his tone change and get mad.
"I didn't think Fernando would be here, I thought he was in jail. And I only had a few it's not that big of a deal." I reply. He looks away.
"What?" I ask
"He wasn't in jail" he says quietly.
"What? What do you-"
"He never was. Papa just didn't want you to worry so he asked me not to tell you" he finally says.

I'm confused. Why would they not tell me? It makes no sense. Suddenly I feel myself getting mad.

"What the fuck? Don't you think I deserved to know?"
"Okay Valentina. Calm down. It wasn't my choice, I had to listen to papa" Carlos shakes his head in frustration.
"Well maybe if you had told me I would've been more careful! If you had been honest with me from the beginning this would have never happened. I thought you cared about me!"
"You should have been more careful regardless. This isn't like you Valentina. I get going out and having fun but first you have to be safe! And I can't believe you didn't tell me about lando!" "
"I didn't think-"
"Exactly! You didn't think! I get it, Lando is a great kid and all but he's not the most responsible person out there. I don't think he's a good fit for you" he shakes his head.
"You don't even know him! What the hell?" I say confused.
"Of course I know him. Lando is my teammate! We're both drivers for McLaren, I know lando really well. Trust me" he runs his hand through his hair.

I freeze as suddenly everything starts to make sense. How did I know realize? I can't believe it.

"Look Valentina, I don't want to argue anymore. Just know that that I'm right. He's not a good influence for you. He's a good friend but won't be a good partner" he clears his throat.
"But why? I really like him and he protected me last night!"
"I already told you. There's plenty of other guys out there. I know how drivers can be, especially since we travel a lot. Please don't try and date someone from the grid"
"Not everyone is like you! They aren't liars like you! I thought we had become closer like before but clearly you didn't trust me enough to tell me the truth!" I yell one last time. Judging by his reaction I can tell he's hurt.