chapter 7

a few days later.

Things had finally been better. I still missed my parents and the friends I left behind in Spain. But obviously Carlos and I have been catching up on all the lost time we had, and it's been fun. He's been busy training and all so we don't go out much. I'm still hesitant to go out there , I don't want people to get the wrong idea. My parents agree we should hold off and ease into it. Even though Fernando is not free, I know I upset him and clearly he's hanging with the wrong groups of people, so I'm still afraid that they could find me and do something.

On the bright side, I had slowly found things to decorate my room a bit more to my taste. Adding a bit more color, and plants and flowers. I love love love growing things. It brings me peace. And having flowers around reminds me of my mother. Ever since I was a child, I loved picking flowers for her in the garden. I planned to keep a fresh bouquet always in my room.

Carlos left early today to go film something at work. I stayed home obviously. I changed into my workout clothes and headed down to the gym. It's become my favorite thing to do to pass the time. The doorman is the only one who really knows me, and he's been very understanding and kind with the situation.

Carlos POV
I head off to work at the McLaren office. It's a media day, since we're getting ready for the next Grand Prix coming up.

Knowing that Fernando is still out there, I'm still hesitant to have Valentina walking around alone. I know that the chances of him finding her are low but I still worry. I do my best to hide it though, because I can't have her ask questions. I hate lying to her.

I arrive at the office, and take the elevator up to our meeting room. Of course, like always, I'm on time and am the first driver here. Lando is always late, typical, because he's still a child to me. I sit around and discuss with the media manager what we're going to do.

Eventually lando shows up, with the biggest smile ever. Not a care in the world.

"Finally lando, I'm going to have to start picking you up for you to be on time" I shake my head as he walks over to me. He playfully smacks my head and I push him back slightly.
"Okay okay, let's get started" the media manager says. She must get fed up, since we're always messing around. He's like a younger brother to me. Lando sits beside me as they begin to explain everything to both of us.

They fix our hair and makeup, and get ready to film. I'm not the biggest fan of doing this, but I admit I have a good time. I like to mess around with lando. He gets annoyed easily. In this video we're doing, we're testing out knowledge on different tracks. Of course, like always I win.

Halfway through we take a quick break.
"So, what's your excuse for being late today?" I turn to look at him.
"What's your excuse for looking ugly today?" He smirks.
"Lando, can we have a serious conversation for once" I laugh.
"Fine. I just slept past my alarm and then I couldn't find my car keys" he says yawning.
"Yeah I'm sure-" I begin to say before I'm interrupted by my phone ringing.

Incoming call: Valentina ❣️

"Oooh Valentina, who's she?" Lando says as I catch him looking over. I quickly turn my phone around
"Don't worry about it"
"Valentinaaaa Valentina" he mocks me.
"Lando, seriously I'm going to smack you if you don't stop"
"Relax Carlitos. It's just a joke. I'm just curious" he smirks. I quickly text Valentina to make sure she's okay.

Turns out she just buttdialed me... but now I'm going to have lando asking questions.

"I won't tell anyone, come on just tell meee" he whines.
"No, just forget it" I say.
"I will find out, if it's the last thing I do" he smiles. I roll my eyes, and the media manager walks back over.