chapter 5

(sorry this is moving so slow, lando intro soon :))

The next morning we made our way back home. The detectives stood outside as we pulled up into our driveway. We stepped out of the car as they walked up to greet us.

I stood beside Blanca as my parents and Carlos spoke with the officers. I watched as they walked around taking more photos and evidence. The front windows shattered, and the beautiful plants that my mom had planted ruined.

The officers led the way for us inside, Blanca and I  locked arms as we followed behind. The inside of our house looked even worse in the daylight now.

"So, obviously there will be a lot to repair around the house. But surprisingly we haven't found any evidence of anything that was stolen. I'm a case like this, thieves would snatch anything into their bag, anything they could carry. But other than things smashed, nothing looks missing or out of place. This leads us to believe the persons only wanted to cause damage and to send a message, is there anyone here that's been threatened recently?" The detective says. We all shake our heads, now confused.
"So you're saying they were coming in here just to scare us?" My father asks. The officer nods.
"That's what it looks like. We'll keep investigating, but like I said it's weird that nothing was stolen" he replies.

The thought that whoever was behind this knew who we were, and was only trying to scare us, caused me to feel anxious. Who would do such a thing? I had no idea.

Blanca and I walk upstairs to check our rooms. I walk into mine, luckily they weren't in mine for long. I look around, seeing how everything is out of place. I walk over to my bedside table, and find a piece of paper.

I hope you liked meeting my friends amor. Remember, no one disrespects me like that. Tqm <3

I freeze, the paper falls to my feet. Why would someone leave this? I mean, it could only be one person.

"Tina, you okay?" Blanca says walking in. She watches as I stand still.
"The- the note" I stutter.

She walks over and picks up the paper. Her facially expression turns to shock.

"We need to show this to the police. It's obviously Fernando" she says grabbing my arm. I nod as we walk downstairs.

We show the detectives and my family. Everyone agrees it's most likely Fernando's doing. However without more evidence the police can't do much. They take the paper, as I stand by Blanca, trying to calm myself down.

____

"Well, obviously we can't stay here any longer so we'll all need to think of where to stay" my father says.
"Blanca you're going back with your husband right?" My mother asks. Blanca nods.
"We're far away from here either way. We'll be fine, I'll let him know either way. My plane leaves this afternoon" she replies.
"Good. Valentina, your mother and I were talking and we think it's best for you to go with Carlos"
"What? Why? What about you guys?"
"We'll be okay. We have to stay close by because of work. We'll upgrade our security, and the police are aware of everything. It's safer to leave with Carlos"
"But what if-"
"Tina, everything is going to be okay. Te prometo" my mother says hugging me. My eyes tear up as I hug her back tighter.
"I think it's a good idea. No one will know she's with me. People don't really know her, no offense Tina, and we'll keep it that way for now" Carlos speaks up.

Everyone agrees this is the best idea. Especially while the police continues the investigation. Obviously I am excited about moving with Carlos because I've missed him so much. But I don't want to leave my parents. The thought of anything happening to them stresses me out. Especially knowing that it probably came from Fernando.

The more I think of him, my chest begins to hurt, my heart races, and my breath quickens. I've never felt this way before. I hate it.

"Tina! Estas bien? We're talking to you" Carlos says snapping me out of my thoughts.
"Sorry, what?"
"You should go pack most of your things. Carlos is flying back tonight, you should fly back with him" Blanca says.
I nod, and silently walk away.

I go up to my room and begin to pack my most important things. I fit it into two suitcases, obviously I can't take the larger things. My parents will take them to their new home either way.

I walk back downstairs with my luggage. Everyone watches, I can tell theyre worried about me. Carlos grabs my luggage as I step down from the stairs.

"Okay señorita, if this boy gets in touch with you again, we need to know. Especially if it's threatening" the detective says. I stay silent and nod.
"I know this must be scary. But I promise you, you're safe here with us. We'll make sure police escorts each of you to your new homes" the detective says.

The rest of the afternoon feels like a blur. I can't help but think of last night. My anxiety kicks in, and I can't focus on anything else. I sit there in silence.

We pack our bags into the car, it's time for us to head to the airport. I'm feeling scared, gross from not showering, and tired. We arrive at the airport, and my parents and Blanca walk in with us. After checking into the flight and our bags, we step to the side to say our goodbyes.

"I didn't want it to be this sudden and quick, but this is what's best for you. Everything is going to be okay, this is safer for us all. I'll miss you so much Tina, take care of yourself and your brother. We'll see each other very soon I'm sure" my mother says hugging me.
"Te quiero mamá" I say with my tears in my eyes.
"Y yo a ti" she replies kissing my forehead. I kiss her cheek and turn to my father.

"Valentina, remember that we're always here for whatever you need. Behave yourself. Things are going to be better. I promise. Te queremos" my father says kissing my forehead.
"Gracias papa. I'll miss you so much" I say hugging him. He rubs my back as we stand there for a minute.

Lastly is Blanca. We've never been away until she moved away with her husband. This is going to be even harder because we'll be in a whole different country.
"Te quiero hermanita. Be good. And come visit every chance you get. Text me every night, and go out and have fun. Enjoy yourself" she says to me.
"Gracias blanca. I'm going to miss you so much" I hug her back tightly.

"Please be safe all of you. and I'm sorry for all the trouble I've caused. I never meant to-"
"It's all in the past hija. Everything is okay" my father says, smiling. I rarely see him smile now a days. So I know he means it. I nod.

We say goodbye one more time as Carlos and I begin to walk towards our gate. The plane is boarding already so we walk on.

"Don't worry about all that Valentina. I will never let anyone hurt you ever again. You're safe with me" Carlos says as we sit at our seats.
"I know. I'm just scared"
"It's okay to be scared. But I promise no one will ever hurt you again" he replies as I lean my head against his shoulder.

I've never been to Monaco. I hear it's beautiful. And I'm excited but it's hard to let the past go. What if Fernando finds me. What if anything happens to my family? I'll still have to live hidden from the media and from most people. They can't know Carlos has a sister living with him. It'll be hard, but maybe it's like my family says, it's for the better.