1

CL16:

My phone rang as I was eating lunch at my hotel. I looked at the caller ID surprised to see it was Christian Horner. "Hello?" I spoke answering the phone. "Hey Charles, do you have a moment?" "Yes, I do, how can I help you sir?" "Sergio is retiring after Abu Dhabi. We've been looking at a lot of drivers but we see the most potential in you if you can get into a fast car." I was in disbelief. I love Ferrari, they were where Jules was supposed to be. "I can give to till the end of the race on the 26th." "I understand. I'll be over there with my answer by the end of the day." "Sounds good. I hope you'll join us, Charles. You should be a world champion." With that, he hung up. Merde. Las Vegas is this weekend and now my mind is going a thousand miles a second. If only my car went that fast. We will see how these last races go before I make my decision. I wonder who will take my seat at Ferrari, I know there are a lot of F2 Drivers simply waiting on a seat to open up.
*
*
*
Saturday came much faster than I had expected and before I knew it I was in my car getting ready for practice. The track was fast but I just couldn't find a groove that worked for me. Frédéric Vasseur the team principal came over to me after practice with a displeased look on his face. "Charles, can we talk?" He asked but it sounded like more of a demand. I nodded and we walked into the trailer. "You need to step it up. You're running bottom team times." He said. "I'm trying. The car doesn't turn well into turn one and it doesn't have the speed down the straightaway." "Excuses. You need to push harder. Stop blaming the car or your strategist." He walked out of the trailer and closed the door. Redbull doesn't look so bad sometimes.
*
*
*
As the practice session went on I figured out the track a little more. Mattia's words echo in my head. Maybe it is a me problem. Qualifying was now upon us. I was able to score 5th in Q1 and Q2 but as I came around turn one in Q3 for another try I lost control and went off track. "Ahh," I groaned. "Bring it back in. You'll start P7" I heard over my radio. I pushed the little button on my steering wheel and went back to the paddock. I saw Frédéric standing there as I got out of my car. I just decided to go to my trailer and try to get back to my hotel as soon as possible. I changed out of my race suit into regular clothes and headed out. As I was walking past the Redbull paddock I heard someone call my name. I looked over and saw Christian. "Hi, Mr Horner." I said sticking my hand out to shake his. "Charles." He nodded shaking my hand. "Please come." He spoke as we waved me towards the paddock with him. I nodded and walked with him. "What happened in Q3?" He asked as he sat down. "Lost control." I said. "Well obviously. I'm asking how. Car issues? Driver issues?" I sighed. "Car issues. I had issues with oversteering the lap before but figured it'd be fine for another lap." "Max! Come here please." He hollered. Max walked over and said hello to me and Christian. "Did you have any issues with the car? Be brutally honest." "No. Not a single issue. Handled great and was fast in the straights." Max said. "Thank you. You may go back to whatever you were doing." Christian said shooing Max away like he was a child. Max smiled and said goodbye to the both of us. "I see your point, Mr Horner." I said. "Please call me Christian. And I know you see my point. I want you to see yourself in the same place as Max. I want to see it too." He said. I smiled at him. "Thank you. But like you said. I have till the 26th to make a decision." He sighed a little. "That you do. I'll see you then." I nodded and walked away.
*
*
*
Race day. As we stood on the grid for the American National Anthem my heart raced. I'll be happy if I can get into the top five with how the car is here but I know Mattia won't be. We got everything ready and before I knew it I was back in my car on the grid. The formation lap went as usual and then the lights started to go. 1...2...3...4...5......Go! I pulled a perfect start and into turn one had gotten myself past Carlos into sixth. 20 laps in and i was passing Alonso into turn one. My next target was Hamilton for the podium. 45 laps in and I still was in no place to pass Hamilton. I might just have to settle for fourth. The last laps passed fast and I still couldn't catch Hamilton. I finished fourth and Carlos got sixth.
*
*
*
I had just gotten done with interviews and walked into my trailer when a knock came from the door. I opened the door to see Max. "Hey man, what's up?" I asked stepping back so he could come in. "Nice job. You made it to the top five." He said fist bumping me. "Thanks. You won again shocker shocker but good job." I said with a small laugh. "Look I know what's going on. I think you should take the opportunity." He said. "But I love Ferrari" "Nope. Stop. You maybe love them but they aren't going get you a championship." He interrupted me. "Really think about it, Charles." He said and left. Shit.
*
*
*
Abu Dhabi. Today is the last day of the season. The last day, I have to think about my future in the sport. I told myself I'd see how the race went and that's what I'm gonna do. I qualified P5 so hopefully I'll be on the podium at the end of the 58 laps. As we all stopped in our boxes waiting for the last person to line up my heart was pumping. I was late on the start but I was able to slide underneath Hamilton and Alonso in turn one putting me into third. The Redbulls were almost impossible to catch but I somehow was able to catch up with Sergio on lap 37. As I went for the pass in turn 12 my car wouldn't turn. I went straight off the track into the barrier. "Charles, are you okay?" I heard on the radio. "Fine." I mumbled. I pushed myself out of the car and walked back to the paddock. I went into my trailer and took off all my race gear so I could go to the medic. My door opened and in walked Frédéric. "What the hell was that?" He asked rather irritated. "My car wouldn't turn." I spoke dryly. "But you didn't have any issue before that? It looked like you were gonna try a move then backed out and went straight." "No your car is a piece of shit and it didn't turn when I would've had second had you known how to build a car." I snapped. He looked at me in disbelief for a second. "I quit. Terminate my contact instantly." I said and stood up to walk out. "And there the hell will you go?" He asked. "You'll see." I replied as I walked out of my trailer. I walked over to the Redbull Paddock. "Ah, Charles are you okay?" Christian asked when he saw me standing there. "A little sore. But other than that yes." I said. "What can I do for you?" He asked. I smirked a little. "Still have a seat for me?" I asked. He broke into a huge smile and nodded. "Yes, I do."