16

ND68:

Practice one went fine but I was struggling with staying within track limits so I've got to figure that out before race day or I'm screwed. "Hey, Carlos I need your help." I said sitting next to him. "What's the problem querida?" He asked. "I can't stay within track limits on most of these corners. I need help." I said. He smiled and started explaining each corner. He even pulled up the onboard of Max from last season to see gears, when he started turning and everything I need help on.
*
*
*
Practice was getting better and I was getting ready for FP3. I finally figured out most of the corners except fifteen. I kept cutting it super close to going over the curb into the grass. "Remember we have a big shot at rain tomorrow and Sunday. So get it right before the rain comes in." Frédéric said. "Got it." I replied and they rolled my car out. After warning the tires back up I decided to take a flying lap to see what I could get done now and see if I can get that corner right. I got through every corner all the way to fourteen and I turned a little earlier for fifteen and it worked. Okay, now I have to do it again. I did it three more times and then brought the car back in. "Beautiful Nova beautiful." Frédéric said and I smiled. "Thank you." I said and he nodded. I walked back to my driver's room and changed into blue jeans, a Ferrari hoodie, and my black Vans. A knock caught my attention as I was tying my shoes. "It's open." I said and the door opened. I looked up and saw Lewis. "Oh Jesus, I'm so sorry. Hi." I said standing up to greet him. "No need to apologize." He said with a small laugh. "It's nice to meet you." I said. "Likewise." He said and stuck his hand out. I shook his hand and smiled. "So a little birdie told me you were having issues in fifteen most of practice." He said. I'll kill Carlos when I see him next. "Verdomde Carlos." I mumbled. "Ah don't kill the poor boy. I watched you in practice." He said. I nodded my head. "If you're free we can go out and we can talk, I'll help you out the best I can." He said with a smile. "Yeah, sure. When and where?" I asked. "Now work?" He asked. "That works. Just let me grab my phone and keys." I said. "Forget the keys I'm driving. I'll bring you back to get your car." He said. "Let me rephrase that, my room key. I don't have a car man. I Uber everywhere." I said as we started walking. "You're a race car driver? You don't have a car?" He asked confused. "I have a car. In Louisville." I said. "Ah. Okay." He said with a laugh. "What kind of car?" He asked. "1965 Shelby Mustang GT-350." I said. "American girl, American car." He said. "Hell yeah." I said and he chuckled.
*
*
*
Lunch was great with Lewis and he helped. Carlos did great but I still just couldn't figure out the last corner most of the time. He gave me tips on how to handle it should the rain come through as well. He drove me back to my hotel and said goodbye. I walked up to my room and lay down on my bed and watched some TV. Tomorrow was gonna be interesting if it rains like the weatherman says it's gonna.
*
*
*
"Welcome to Imola Nova!" Max yelled as he picked me up and ran through the rain. "Max jij lul! Ik zal je verslaan binnen een centimeter van je leven!" I yelled and he just laughed. "Max stop tormenting her." Christian said as we passed Redbull. "Christian I will kill your golden goose!" I yelled and Max laughed even harder. He finally stopped in front of Aston Martin and then ran away after he sat me down. Christ I'm soaked and it's so cold. I groaned and started to walk back to Ferrari when someone pulled me under a garage roof. "Here." I heard and it was Lance handing me his hoodie. "What about you?" I asked. "I have another in my room. Take it. And I'll get an umbrella hold on." He said and took off to the trailer. I pulled off my soaking wet hoodie and slipped on his. A few seconds later he came back with a new hoodie and a white umbrella. "Thank you. I'll bring them back after Qualifying." I said. "Keep the umbrella." He said. "Thank you." I said and he smiled. "See you around Nova." He said and walked off back to the trailer. "Bye." I said and made my way back to Ferrari.
*
*
*
"Alright, you've made it to Q3. Remember smooth and fast. Watch it on the breaks and remember to turn a little sooner." My strategist said. "Got it." I said and he nodded. They rolled my car out and I took off onto the track. I wanted my tires to get as warm as possible so I did a few warm-up laps. Once I was sure I wasn't gonna die I set up for my flying lap. The rain hitting my face mask sounded like little pellets getting shot at me and damn did it fuck with my eyesight. I pushed the car as hard as I could without it slipping out from under me in the corners. "Nice and easy now don't blow it." I heard coming into turn fourteen. I made it through fifteen and then it was smooth sailing to bring it home. "P3." I heard and I smiled. I made top three in my first rain race. I'll take it. I brought the car back around and parked it. After they pulled me into the garage I got out and went over to Carlos to congratulate him on P4. After that, I went to my driver's room and changed out of my race suit. I put on my extra hoodie and folded Lance's up then put it in a plastic bag so it wouldn't get wet. I put my sweatpants on and then grabbed all my stuff and walked out. When I got to the exit of the garage I opened up the umbrella and made my way down to Aston Martin. When I got over there I didn't see Lance but I saw his dad. "Excuse me, Mr. Stroll?" I asked. "Miss Daniels, how can I help you?" He asked. "I was wondering where Lance was so I could give this back." I said holding up the bag with the hoodie. "He's in his driver's room. Just knock before you go in." He said. "Thank you." I said and he nodded. I walked off and finally found his driver's room as their garage was set up very differently. I knocked on the door and heard a faint come in. I opened the door and stepped in. "It's me. I just came to give your hoodie back." I said and closed the door. "Oh thank you." He said and stood up to come closer to me. I handed him the bag and he took it with a smile. "Thank you again for letting me use it." I said. "Not a problem. No one needs to be getting sick out here." He said. "Well, I've got to go. I need to get some sleep tonight. I'll see you tomorrow." I said. "Yeah for sure. See you around." He said and I gave him and side hug.