40

ND68:

I parked the truck and smiled at Charles. "You are having way to much fun dressing me up." He said shaking his head. "Well duh." I said and he rolled his eyes with a smile. "Alright, let's go." He said opening the door. I got out and we walked into the boot barn. "Hello wel- Nova?" I looked over and saw a girl I didn't recognize. "Yes?" I asked a bit confused. "I'm sorry you have no idea who I am but I've heard of the hometown girl that went to the big boys class." She said with a smile. "Word has gotten around huh?" I asked and she nodded. "Would it be okay if we got a picture?" She asked fiddling with her fingers. "Of course, Char will you take it for us?" I asked and he nodded with a smile. I walked over and stood next to her. We smiled and I heard the camera click a few times. "Thank you so much." She said. "Of course." I replied and we went on our way to the men's boots. "Pick any of them that have a square toe." I said and Charles nodded. He looked around for a bit then picked up a pair of black and tan boots. "Try them on before we buy them." I said and he slipped off his shoes and put them on. "They're really comfortable." He said a bit of shock in his voice. "They're supposed to be love." I said and he smiled. "I want these." He said and i nodded. We grabbed a couple pair of jeans and a hat because why not.
*
*
*
We pulled up to my friends ranch and parked. "So what's this persons name?" Charles asked. "Summer." I said and he nodded. I sent her a quick text and jumped out of the truck. Charles changed when we got back to the hotel room and may i just say, yee fucking haw. "Nova fuckin Daniels." I heard and I saw Summer walking over from the round pen. "Summer fuckin James." I said and she smiled. We met half way and gave each other a hug. "Who's this cutie?" She asked and Charles froze in place. "This is Charles, my boyfriend." I said and she smiled. "Well it's nice to meet you Charles, I'm Summer." She said and stuck her hand out for him to shake. "Nice to meet you." He said and shook her hand. "Where are you from?" She asked. "Monaco." He replied and her eyes went wide. "Wait, bitch isn't this the guy who's seat you took?" She asked me. "He left so I filled it. But yes it is." I said and she laughed. "Alrighty then. Well let's get you saddled up and see what you've still got sunshine." She said and i smiled. "Let's do it." I said and we walked off. "So does Mr Monaco know how to ride?" She asked. "Sort of yeah. Not enough to do the rodeo. I also don't feel like getting bitched out by Horner." I said and Charles chuckled. "Fair enough. Alright you've got Dax I'll go grab a saddle." She said pointing at a grey in the stall. "This ain't a quarter horse." I said and I heard her laugh. "Nope, Dutch Warmblood jumper turned can horse." She said walking back in from the tack room. "You're putting me on a jumper?" I asked. "Ex jumper. He's my second barrel horse." She said and i sighed. "Alright." I said and shook my head.
*
*
*
"Okay I'm gonna go get signed up I'll be back." I told Charles and he nodded. I walked my happy ass over to the building and when I walked in it went silent. "No way in hell. Nova Daniels." A man said and when I saw him I smiled. "Mr Hartman, long time no see." I said with a smile. "Damn right, let's see if you've still got it after driving them cars for so long." He said and i laughed. "I'm hoping so." I said and he nodded. I filled out all the a paper work and gave him the cash. "All set, starts in an hour." He said and i nodded. "Sounds good. Thank you." I said and walked out. "Nova." I heard and looked over. "Jake." I said and nodded at him. He tipped his hat and walked closer. "Never thought I'd see you back out here." He said. "Well it's nice to step back from the cars for a minute. It's my last week here so I figured I'd make an appearance." I said. "Good luck out there." He said and smiled. "Yeah don't get thrown into the dirt Yates." I said and he laughed. "I'm on a roll. Haven't fell off in a few months." He said. "Keep it up." I said with a smile and walked away.
*
*
*
"Beautiful run with a 14.988 that puts Nova Daniels on top of the board." The announcer said after my last run and i beamed with joy. "That was intense." Charles said. "Try being on the horse." I said and he laughed. "You're beautiful." He said looking up at me. "Thank you." I said and I know my face turned red. "Come on let's get this big boy back to the trailer. He's done chasing cans for the day." I said and Charles nodded. We walked back to the trailer with Charles right next to us and i hopped off when we got there. "Nova! Good job." I heard and I turned around to see Jake again. "Thanks." I said with a smile and went back to un-tacking Dax. "Hello, Jacob Yates." Jake said sticking his hand out to Charles. "Charles Leclerc." He said and shook his hand. "Oh shit you're one of the guys she races with. That's so cool." Jake said an Charles smiled. "Yeah. She gives us all a run for our money." Charles replied. "Well it was nice to meet you. I must be going. Don't be a stranger Nova!" He yelled and ran off. Charles looked at me with a raised eyebrow. "Old friend, he's a bareback dumb ass." I said and he cocked his brow harder. "He rides broncs. Bucking horses." I said and he nodded. "Seems like a nice guy." He said. "Nice but stupid. That's why we were friends." I said and he laughed. "Bitch learn to answer your phone." Summer said running over to us. "It's in the truck slut, what's up?" I asked. "You won." She said smiling. "No fucking way? You didn't beat me?" I asked shocked. "Fuck no. I ran a 15.011 for second you beat us all." She said. "Holy shit." I said and smiled. "Come on let's go." She said and grabbed my arm. "Hold on let me tie up your horse." I said and tied him off to the trailer. I grabbed Charles's hand and we ran off towards the center of the arena. If racing fails me i know where I can make it. Rodeo.