30

ND16:

After eating an early dinner we walked out to the truck. "Thank you for letting us come by." I said hugging Clara. "Anytime honey, I expect you next season." She replied. "You bet." I replied and she smiled. "You did great city boy." She said looking at Charles. "Thank you, and thank you for letting me ride your horse." He replied with a smile. "Of course." She said with a smile. "Alright, y'all get going before it gets too bad on traffic." Clara said and I laughed. "Yeah, we best be going. Bye." I said and hugged her one more time. "Bye thank you again." Charles said. "Bye, y'all." Clara said and walked back to the barn. We jumped in the truck and I started it. "Are we staying somewhere tonight?" Charles asked. "No, I'm driving all the way through. I don't trust not staying in the big cities honestly I know all of Mexico isn't bad but I don't know where the good and bad parts are." I said. "Fair enough. I'll drive when you get tired." He said and I smiled. "Thank you. I'll prolly be tired early in the mornin'." I said and he nodded. "Just let me know." He replied and turned on some music.
*
*
*
Three hours later we arrived at the border. "Passport miss." The guard said at my window. I handed it over as I had gotten it out when we got in line. "Sir yours as well." He said and Charles reached over handing it to him. "Where are you coming from?" He asked. "Austin, Texas." "Reason for your visit?" "We're Formula One drivers going to Mexico City for the Grand Prix." "Will you be leaving by flight or vehicle?" "Flight." He stepped back and listened to his radio. "Here you go. Enjoy Mexico." He said handing us back our passports. "Thank you." I said and put the truck in drive. After a few minutes, Charles pulled out his phone and told me to say something to the camera. I glanced over at the camera and smiled. "The best person to roast Charles gets one of my hats signed and Ferrari driver cards." I said and he laughed. "Do your worst." He said and stopped recording. "Thank you for letting me come with you." He said. "You're welcome. I need someone to keep me company anyways." I said and he smiled. "How much longer?" He asked. "Thirteen ish hours." I said and he groaned. "You can sleep shut it." I said and he snickered. "I'll drive if you want me to Chéri." He said. "No, you sleep. You'll drive in the morning." I said and he nodded.
*
*
*
Charles passed out right before we had to stop for gas. I pulled off to a gas station and filled up the tank, thankfully not waking him. I checked my maps and I still had twelve hours. Looks like Charles will be driving sooner than I thought. I got back onto the freeway and we were off again. Music played lowly in the truck and I could hear his soft snores from the passenger seat. I had a long stretch of straight road so I quickly pulled out my phone and snapped and picture of Charles asleep. If I knew it wouldn't ruin our friendship I would tell him how I felt. But nothing tells me that we will be okay if I did and I can't handle losing him again. Four more hours passed by and I was getting pretty tired. I knew he'd have to switch with me soon but I wanted him to sleep as much as he could. I pulled off and filled up once again. Charles stayed asleep the whole time so I was pleased with myself.
*
*
*
"Charles." I said. Nothing. "Charles." I said and shook him a little. "Is everything okay?" He asked when his eyes opened. "It's getting kinda hard to stay awake. We need to switch pretty quick I'm sorry." I said. "No don't be sorry. Find a spot to pull over and we will switch." He said. I nodded and found another gas station to stop at. I pulled off on the exit and pulled into the parking lot. I put it in park and unbuckled my seat belt. "Hey don't be sorry for being tired. We all get tired." He said and I nodded. "Okay." I said and hopped out of the truck. He followed suit and we met at the back of the truck. "Here." He said pulling off his hoodie. "Huh?" I asked confused. "For a pillow." He said and pushed it towards me. "Thank you." I said taking it. He nodded and walked around me to the driver's door. I jumped in and once I was in he got in too. I wonder why he waited. Oh well. "I'll be honest I've never driven a truck before." He said. "It's like a car just bigger." I said and he nodded. "Easy enough." He pulled out of the parking lot and got back onto the freeway. "Sleep now." He said and I nodded softly. "My card is in the glove box if you need to stop for gas. My pin is my driver number twice." I said. He laughed a bit and said a soft okay. Before I knew it I was knocked out.
*
*
*
"Chéri, we're here, come on wake up." I heard as my shoulders were shaken softly. I groaned a bit then opened my eyes. "Come on let's go. I'll check us in." He said and I nodded. I unbuckled my seat belt, then got out and grabbed my duffel bag from the back seat. I closed the back door and went to grab my suitcase out of the bed of the truck, but Charles was already grabbing it. "Don't worry I got it. Let's go in." He said and the truck locked. "My phone and wallet though." I said and he flashed me a smile. "In my pockets." He said. "Thank you." I said and he smiled. We walked into the hotel and he checked us in. He got out room key and we went up the elevator. We walked out when we hit our floor and found our room. He opened the door and I walked in but turned around to hold the door so he could bring the suitcases in. I told him I'd take mine but noooooooo. Once he got in I closed the door and walked over the the bed. I put my duffle down and flopped on the bed. "Out of those jeans come on." Charles said. "I'm fine." I said but it was muffled from my face being in the bed. "Oh, mon Dieu." He said with a groan. "Come on I'll give you pants and I'll look away so you don't have to get up." He said. "Okay okay." I said. He went to his bag and pulled out a pair of sweats. He handed them over and turned around. I pulled my boots and jeans off then slipped the sweats on. I took off my socks and then flopped onto the bed again. "Okay now let's sleep." I said and he laughed. "Okay." He said. I heard rustling and then I felt the bed dip down. I rolled over and saw him, in sweats and no shirt. "Heer, heb medelijden met mijn ziel." I mumbled. "Goodnight to you too." He replied not knowing what I said and I smiled.