21

CL16:

"P2 Charles that's P2." I heard over the radio after I finished my last qualifying lap. "Hell yeah." I replied and I smiled. Better than I expected to do after practice yesterday went horrible. I drove back around and pulled up to the garage and got out once they pulled my car in. I pulled off my helmet and head sleeve then walked over to Max. "Good job man." I said. "Thank you. You as well. It's like you never left." He said. "Practice would tell you otherwise." I said and he laughed. "We all have bad days." He said and I nodded. We went our separate ways and I went into my driver's room to get off my driving suit and shoes. The atmosphere was different, people were cautious and overly kind. But one thing I did notice was the look Nova gave me when she saw me. Her eyes filled with sadness and confusion. Why? I had no idea. I thought she was over it because she looked at me like every other driver before the crash. I pushed it to the side and focused on tomorrow.
*
*
*
All the cars rolled onto the grid and we started the formation lap. Max in front of me, Nova and Lewis behind me. Man this was gonna be one hell of a race. We all got into our grid box and the lights started. "It's light out and away we go here in Belgium, Leclerc is off to a great start alongside Verstappen. Daniels and Hamilton had great starts as well. Daniels dives down the inside and oh my god Daniels coming out ahead of Leclerc." God damnit. She's got balls now that's for sure. Going up Eau Rouge I was gaining on her. Sitting in her slipstream and I waited till the last second and darted out from behind her. Into turn five I took the outside and was able to make my position back into six. "Good job. Now go after Max." I heard and I clicked the button on my steering wheel telling them I got the message.
*
*
*
Lap twenty-nine and I was in no place to pass Max. I've got fifteen laps to get it done so it's time to go balls out. "The was the fastest lap. Keep it up and you'll get him." I heard. "Copy." I replied and stepped on it a bit harder. Five laps later I looked in my mirror and saw the front end of a Ferrari coming for me. "Daniels has set the fastest lap for the last two. You need to move it." "On it." She's always been faster towards the end and I have no idea how. She's got some insane endurance which is surprising after what I saw in Miami. Girl can out-smoke almost anyone. She had a taste of the top and she wanted it even more now. If she could she'd prolly drive that car into the ground. "Fastest lap. Keep it up." I heard. "Copy." I said and focused on putting down the best laps I could. I was not losing this podium spot.
*
*
*
Lap forty-three and I'd gained a bit on Max but to me it was pretty clear he was going to win. As I rounded the last corner I saw the white flag waving. Last lap and now let's bring it home in one piece. The crowd roared as we flew by and it was spectacular. I never thought I'd be up on the top again. Redbull saved my ass, and even though Nova is in the top with us they wouldn't have put as much effort into the car for me. I know they went above and beyond for her. The lap ticked away by the second and before I knew it I was face to face with the checkered flag. "An amazing race today, Verstappen first, Leclerc second, and Daniels third."
*
*
*
The Dutch anthem played again as we stood on the podium. After we sprayed out champagne we walked off and back to our garages. "Hey man what's up with her?" I asked Max. "Did you ever watch your crash?" He asked. "What does that have to do with Nova?" I asked and his eyes went wide. "You need to watch that crash, Charles." He said and walked away. Well, fuck looks like I'm watching my crash when I get back to my hotel. I took off all my race stuff and put on regular clothes. A Redbull T-shirt and blue jeans. I grabbed all my things and walked up to the parking lot. I got an Uber and went back to my hotel.
*
*
*
I opened up my phone and looked up my crash as I lay on the bed. I clicked on the video and watched it. It showed the hit between Nova and me and then cut to my radio with me saying something was wrong. Then it cut to the start of turn seven and you could see me hit the puddle and it shoot my car over the rumble strips then the right front got sucked under the car and I went straight into the wall. Then I see Novas radio pop up. "Nova no get back to your car." Her strategist told her. The video then cuts to her stopping her car on the side and getting out then running towards my car on fire. "Fuck that I'm not letting him die." Was the next radio message. All while showing my car set ablaze and her running towards it. By the time she got there, it was engulfed in flames and she ran right into them to pull me out. And that's what she did. She unbuckled my straps and pulled me out through the fire. Once the medics and officials were there she simply walked away and got her car back to the garage. She saved me. The girl I told to never speak to me again saved my life. I'm such a fucking asshole. I instantly texted Max asking if he knew where she was staying and he didn't. Then I texted Carlos and thankfully he knew since they were at the same place. He sent me the address and her room number. I shot out of bed then slipped my shoes on and walked out while getting an Uber so I could get there as quick as I could and not have to wait. She prolly thinks I don't care that she saved me. I just didn't know it was her this whole time. I thought it was officials.