8

ND68:

Carlos and I were playing a game for an interview and we had to pull cards and ask each other that question. "Nova, when is your Birthday?" Carlos asked. "October 13th, 2001." I said. "What about you?" I asked. "1st of September 1994." He said. The game went on and then I pulled a car asking his full name. "Carlos Sainz Vázquez de Castro." "I- what the hell?" I asked as I barely caught a word of what he said. He chuckled at my reaction and I laughed as well. "Nova, what is your full legal name?" He asked. "Nova Pearl Daniels." I said. "Pearl as in a pearl necklace?" He asked. "Yep. It was my grandmom's name." I replied. Finally, we wrapped up the game and it was time to get ready for qualifying.
*
*
*
"You're going on to Q3 that was a P3." I heard and I was excited as all hell. Q2 ended and now we wait for Q3 to start. "You can be a little tighter and smoother on the corners." My strategist said. I nodded and took a sip of the water they had handed me. "Let's go." I heard and my car was pushed out of the garage. Tighter and smoother. I got this shit. I went out and warmed everything back up and started my flying lap. "Push it a little harder." I heard and I pushed the car harder than I was. I pushed it to the point I was a little worried about my ability to handle it. I rounded the final corner and stepped on it. As I crossed the finish I saw all purple sectors flash on my screen. "P1 Nova P1. Amazing! Let's hope the Redbulls can't beat that." I heard and I cheered with pure joy. "Yes oh my god thank you guys." I replied and I heard cheers from the garage over the radio. Holy shit. I just hope I can keep it as I was the second person to put down a lap. The first was Alonso and I had him beat by almost a second. Max was next on his flying lap and I was ahead of him by .278 of a second. I hope Charles or Carlos don't snatch it from me. Charles went and was behind Max by .015. Last to go was Carlos unfortunately he couldn't get ahead of either Redbull and was stuck at P4. Then it hit me. I got Pole in Australia. Holy shit Penelope is gonna freak. She, unfortunately, had to work today but she was able to get tomorrow off for the race. The team cheered and I almost cried. Carlos came and gave me a huge hug and told me he was so excited for the Red Bulls to be in a Ferrari sandwich. I laughed at his childishness and shook my head. Let's hope I can stay ahead of them tomorrow.
*
*
*
I made my way to Penelope's house as I was staying there for the weekend and she had just pulled up from work. "I haven't gotten to look yet. How did you do?" She asked bouncing around like a kangaroo. "I got pole bitch." I said and she screeched. "Yes!" She yelled and hugged me. "Oh my god, I'm so proud of you." She said and I smiled. "I'm proud of me too," I replied. We walked into the house and I went into the guest room to change into something more comfortable than jeans. I picked up a pair of shorts and a baggy shirt and slipped them on. My phone pinged so I grabbed it off of the bed. There was a text from Pierre asking if he could stay with me since something happened to his reservation and it wasn't made for enough days so he's fucked now. I walked out and found P sitting in the living room flicking through the channels on the TV. "Hey one of my friends got screwed out of his hotel room somehow can he stay here?" I asked. "Who is it?" She asked. "Pierre Gasly." I said. "Yea that's fine but y'all gonna share a room cuz I'm not sharing my bed with you or him. You suck to sleep with and I don't know this being." She said. "That's fine." I said with a laugh and quickly sent Pierre a text with the address saying he could come but he had to share a bed with me. I went into the room to move some of my stuff so he had room for his. "I'm gonna call for pizza how many should I get?" P hollered. "Get three I'll pay." I hollered back. "Where's your card?" She asked walking towards the room. "Here." I said grabbing my wallet and handing her my card. She grabbed it then went into the kitchen and called the pizza place.
*
*
*
The pizzas showed up and we tossed them in the oven to keep them warm until Pierre got here and thankfully he showed up about ten minutes after. "Hey, Nova." He said and gave me a side hug. "Pierre this is Penelope. Penelope this is Pierre." I said gesturing between them. "Nice to meet you." She said sticking her hand out for him to shake. "Likewise. Thanks for letting me crash here." He replied shaking her hand. "No problem. If she likes you I should. She hates people more than me." She said and he laughed. "You hate people?" He asked me. "Yes, I do very much. You guys are all cool though so I don't hate you." I said with a smile and he rolled his eyes a little. "We got pizza so let's eat." P said and we walked towards the kitchen. "Just put your bags anywhere bean pole." P hollered and I held back a laugh. "I've got muscles." He pouted and I lost it. Children. All these drivers are little boys at heart. "Come on bean pole." I said and he rolled his eyes.
*
*
*
"I'm gonna go change." He said and I nodded. A few minutes later he came back into the room and had just a pair of sweats on. "I hope you don't mind. I kinda hate shirts sleeping." He said. "You're all good." I said with a laugh. "I won't touch you I promise." He said. "Pierre I'm not worried about it." I said and his expression softened. "Come on. Let's sleep we have a big day tomorrow." I said laying down. He laid down next to me and tried to get comfortable leaving room between us. "Pierre, my guy, get comfortable and go to sleep. I don't care if your leg or arm is touching me." I said and he chuckled. "I just don't want you to think I'm trying to actually sleep with you." "If I thought that was the case here your ass would be on that hard-ass couch." "Good point." "Goodnight Pierre." "Goodnight Nova."