9

ND68:

"Nova, how are you feeling about sitting on the pole going into today?" "I feel pretty good about it. I've got some very good drivers behind me with more experience so even if I don't get the win it'll be an amazing race for me to learn things." "Do you feel like you have big shoes to fill at Ferrari?" "If my season can keep going like Saudi Arabia went, no not at all." "A few people have opinions about you being on the grid because you're a woman. How do you deal with that?" "Everyone is entitled to their own opinion but to the people who don't like me, you can kiss my country ass." I said with a smile and the rest of the drivers laughed. "No more questions, please. I can only pretend to not hate being in public so much." I added on and they laughed again. They turned their questions to Max so I let myself zone out a little bit. "How can you be so stupid? It was my corner and you just went straight thinking it wouldn't fuck us both?" It echoed in my head over and over again. It doesn't matter how many times I rewatch the crash, part of me thinks I did just fuck up going for a gap that wasn't there and pushing my car too far. "Hey." I heard in a whisper and felt a nudge. I looked over next to me and it was Lando. "What's up?" I asked. "Get out of your head. I know where your head is I've been there. Get out of those thoughts." He said. I smiled and nodded. Damn I wish I could.
*
*
*
The formation lap ended and now I was sitting at the front of the grid. A Redbull was next to me and behind me with my teammate was right behind them. I was officially scared. And Senna said fear was fun for him. The lights started. 1...2...3...4...5...Green. I was lucky to get a bit of a better start than Max and into turn one and two I held onto the lead.
*
*
*
"Box this lap you have a five-second lead." "Copy that." Lap 28 came around and I needed tires badly but I was determined to get as far ahead as I could before I did. My pit stop went well and I was able to come out right behind Max. I knew if I could put down the laps like I had I would pass him within ten laps.
*
*
*
Lap 36 and I was hoping to find a gap sooner rather than later and into turn eleven I found it. He went a little wide so I dove into the bottom of the corner as hard as I could. I sent a quick prayer to the higher powers and when I straightened back out for the straight I was in the lead again.
*
*
*
Lap 55. I had a two-second lead on both Redbull cars and I'm saying both because they are fighting each other. Three more laps and I'm gonna win. It'd be a dream but so many things can happen in three laps. And unfortunately, it did. On the last lap, I lost 20% of my power and Max was coming up on me fast. I defended for as long as I could but on the second to last turn he was able to go around the outside of me as he had out-braked me because I didn't want another collision. "And in a wild turn of events Max Verstappen has captured the checkered flag last second, Nova Daniels second place, and Charles Leclerc third place."
*
*
*
The Dutch anthem played once again and while the boys sprayed each other in champagne I chose to save it for myself and P tonight. I'm not sure if Pierre is staying with us again or not but I don't leave till next week for Baku but even then I'll be there very early. I like to spend time in the places I'm racing. Most of them are so gorgeous and you never know when the last time you'll see something like it again is when you're a racer. I walked down into my driver's room and took off all my stuff and pulled on a Ferrari hoodie with a pair of blue jeans and boots. I texted P to see where she was so we could go. Knowing her somewhere where there's food. She said she was leaving the restroom and she'd be over in a second as I'd gotten her a paddock pass so she could watch from the garage. I sent a quick okay and put my phone away. "Good job today." Carlos said. "Thank you. You too." I said and he smiled. He had gotten fourth which was amazing. "Pierre was looking for you by the way." He said as we stood there. "Ah, I'll text him." I said and opened up my phone. I told him to come to Ferrari and he sent an okay. "Why did you brake so hard into that corner?" He asked. "Overthought the situation at hand." I said and shrugged. "You both would have been fine had you stayed the way you were going before." He replied. "I know. I just have a confidence issue." I replied and he nodded. "Well, I must be going. I have a date tonight." He said wiggling his eyebrows. I laughed and he ran off. "Bye to you too!" I hollered and I heard him laugh. I few moments later P walked into the garage. "Amazing job my beautiful best friend." She said running to hug me. I hugged her back and mumbled a "thank you" into her shoulder. "I'm so proud of you." She said smiling. I smiled back and turned towards the entrance of the garage when I heard footsteps. "Hey, ladies." Pierre said. "Hey." I said with a smile. "Where did you end up?" I asked him. "Tenth." He said. "Nice job that's in the points." I said and he smiled. "Thanks." He replied and I nodded. "So are you staying the night again?" I asked. "My flight doesn't leave till Tuesday so if it's alright I'd like to stay till then." He said. "That's fine." P said and he nodded. "Thank you so much." He said and she smiled. "Not a problem." She replied.