33

ND68:

"Flight 213 to São Paulo Brazil is now boarding." I heard and stood up. Charles stood up and grabbed my bag since I couldn't still being on these damn crutches. Three more weeks and I can throw them into the fucking ocean. "Thank you." I said and Charles just nodded. He had been weird since Sunday night and I couldn't get him to tell me what was wrong. Surprisingly there were no rumors surrounding Pierre and me. Everyone just took it as what it was, a wholesome moment of a friend helping a friend. We boarded the plane and found our seats. I had bought the tickets this time and made sure they were first class for his bougie ass. I moved my crutches to the side and sat down. "Miss, would you like me to take those for you?" An attendant asked. "Um, yes please." I said. It was around a ten-hour flight but the bathroom was close so I could just hobble there. I handed her the crutches and she took them. "Wake me when we're close." Charles said and put his hoodie up. "Okay." I replied softly. He was cold and dry towards me. I had no idea why though. I had made it a point to not have him do much for me because I didn't want him to feel used. Nor did I want him to be annoyed with me, but for some reason he still is. "Het spijt me voor wat ik ook heb gedaan." I whispered under my breath. I'm sorry for whatever I did to make him upset.  He was my best friend and although I wish it was more than that I know it never will be. So I just deny it any time someone asks me.
*
*
*
I needed to pee badly but I was a little scared of getting there with no support. Finally, the urge got bad enough, I had to get up and go. I stood up and tried to get my balance on my left leg. I hopped over to the bathroom successfully and did my thing. I opened the bathroom door and there stood Charles just outside of the little tiny hallway. He looked up and just gave me a sort of blank stare. "You could've asked for help." He said. "I don't need it." I replied and he nodded. He put his arm out for me to grab but I didn't want to bother him even more. "I'm fine, go back to your seat and sleep." I said and he sighed. "Alright." He said and left. I made it back and sat down. I popped my earbuds in and just listened to music while Charles slept oh so peacefully next to me. I'm sure that was a little rude of me but he acted so bothered before so I won't bother him.
*
*
*
The flight attendant from earlier brought me my crutches once we landed and I smiled at her gratefully. "Thank you." I said and she smiled. "You're welcome." She replied and left. I stood up and grabbed my bag slinging it over my head so it wouldn't fall off like if I left it on the side shoulder it was on. "Hey, I got it." Charles said. "It's fine. I got it myself." I said and he sighed. "Alright then." He said and we got off the plane. I texted Lance to see if he would be okay with me staying with him if things got bad between me and Charles and he said yes. So I have a backup option if I need it. We got the rental car and Charles drove to the hotel. I got out but before I could Charles grabbed my bag. "I can get it." I said. "I know you can but you're fucking hurt so stop it and let me grab your damn bag." He snapped. I was taken aback by his tone and just nodded. He started walking into the hotel so I followed. He got our room and we took the elevator up. The silence was deafening between us. When we got into the room he sat our bags down and sat on the bed. "I'm gonna shower." I said and grabbed my bag so I could take it into the bathroom. "Okay." He said and scooted up onto the bed towards the headboard.
*
*
*
I got out of the shower, dried off, then pulled on a pair of shorts and a hoodie. I zipped up my bag and hobbled out of the bathroom. I sat my bag down and went over to the little couch and sat down. "Nov what are you doing?" Charles asked. "Sleeping on the couch." I said as I lay down. "No no. You sleep on the bed why are you on the couch?" He replied. "I don't feel like being next to someone who is irritated with my existence." I said. I heard footsteps coming towards me and I sighed a little. "Nova, I'm not irritated with you, I'm stressed. And I'm very sorry I took it out on you I did not mean to." He said. "Okay." I said. He sighed and gave me a sad smile. "Come on, please come to bed with me." He said. "Okay." I said softly. He smiled and I got up. He helped me over to the bed and I laid down as close to the side as I could. I felt the bed dip and heard the TV click on. I listened to whatever it was he was watching for a little bit before I started to doze off. Suddenly a phone rang and it startled the fuck out of me. "Sorry." Charles said softly and answered the phone. He got up and walked out of the room into the hallway. Sometimes it seemed like he felt the same as I did. I knew it was unlikely. Our teams are rivals and he's going for a championship win. He doesn't have time to worry about a relationship.