27

ND68:

Austin baby! It may be October but damn is it warm out. "Nova!" Someone yelled and I turned around to see Logan and Daniel running towards me. "Yes, peasants?" I asked and Daniel acted like I had shoved a stake into his heart so I laughed. "Where are you headed?" Logan asked. "To Ferrari, would you like to join me?" I replied and they nodded. I giggled and we started walking to Ferrari. Frédéric saw us and smiled. "Miss Daniels, Mr. Riccardo, Mr Sargent." He said nodding at each of us. "Call me Nova for the love of god. Please." I said groaning and he laughed. "Yes yes." He said and I sighed. "They're my shadows for the time being so just ignore them." I said and he nodded with a smile. "Come on." I said and Daniel and Logan followed me.
*
*
*
"Nova, what is it like being the only female in a field full of men?" A reporter asked. "It's not a whole lot different than F2. I picked a sport dominated by men due to physical differences in muscle growth and handling." I replied. "So you don't think being a woman is a disadvantage?" He asked. "Considering I'm beating your oh-so-amazing golden children of Formula One in my first season, no." I replied with a smirk and the whole grid laughed. "Nova, what's the biggest challenge you've faced so far being a woman in the sport?" A woman asked. "All the misogynistic ass holes telling me to get off the grid at the beginning because I didn't have much of a background to show for my talent." It replied. "So are you a first generation racer?" She asked. "Yes. My father's version of horsepower is four hooves. My mother couldn't give a damn about my racing either." I said. "So growing up in Kentucky was it harder to get into karting?" She asked. "A little harder than say living in California or the western states but not impossible." I replied. Finally, they were done talking with me and they moved on to Carlos. I zoned out till I heard my name mentioned. "She's a great driver. I have no complaints about being teammates with her and she's an amazing person as well. If I needed help she's the first person I'm calling." Carlos said and I smiled. I'm glad he doesn't hate me I am.
*
*
*
Standing on the grid while the anthem played my heart was on my throat. I qualified fifth so I had a lot of work to do. Max is on the pole with Charles second Lewis third and somehow Lando in fourth. "Imagine if Miss America wins." Someone said with a snicker. Who the fuck? I looked over and saw Jos Verstappen by the pit wall. Oh, this mother fucker. "Don't." Carlos whispered and I sighed. Then the anthem ended and we went back to our garages, as I passed Jos I shoulder-checked him as hard as I could. "Excuseer snotneus." He grumbled. "Sorry, dat ik niet beweeg voor kindermisbruikers." I shot back as I turned around and his eyes went wide. "Nova let's go." Carlos said grabbing my arm and pulling me away. "Rude it was just getting good." I said. "No you need to win and I need to stay in points. After the race go for it." He said and I sighed. "Fine." I replied and walked over to my car.
*
*
*
Finally, I caught up to Lewis for third on lap ten and knew he wasn't going to let me by easy I was gonna have to fight for it hard. Into turn twelve I braked late and was able to swoop under him. "Good job. Charles in two seconds ahead." I heard over my radio and clicked my little button telling them I got the message. I had a lot of ground to catch up in my little Ferrari. Ten more laps down and I was finally close enough to start finding an open door to pass him. "Be patient." Carlos came over my radio. How he did that shit I don't know but it stuck in my head. Be patient and wait for a move. I added the pressure behind him hoping it would make him fuck up sooner. Corner fifteen lap twenty-three he fucked up and left me just enough room to get under him. It stuck and out of the corner I was now in second. "You've got to get your ass moving." I said to myself and started chasing Max like my life depended on it. "Keep the pace come in soon for tires." I heard and clicked my button. I stayed out for five more laps before coming into the pits. Funnily enough, Max came in as well. This is gonna be good. I was up and down in two seconds flat and took off. Max had gotten out first but I was on his ass. Be patient Nova come on. "Twenty-seven laps to go." I heard over my radio. "Copy." I said. Unfortunately for me, I couldn't catch Max. He started to pull away from me pretty quickly after the first few laps after our pit stop. Lap fifty-four he was three seconds ahead of me but I heard my radio click. "Verstappen tagged the wall go go." I heard and I got a rush of adrenaline. I still have a shot. As I rounded the corner for the last lap I saw the Redbull. I got as far left on the first straight as I could and sure enough, I had the speed and braked late enough that I passed him in turn one. I was overwhelmed with joy as I drove the last lap harder than I prolly should have. As I made my war around the last corner once again all I saw was that checkered flag. The whole garage was on the wall as I flew by and I smiled. "Yes! Yes!" I yelled and I heard the garage cheering in the background of my radio. "Amazing performance today Nova." I heard and smiled. "Where's Carlos?" I asked. "He got fourth." He replied and I smiled. "Tell him good job from me." I said. "Copy that."