Ch.9: Christmas Break

It was very cold outside. Why Love agreed to playing Quidditch in almost the middle of December, she didn't know. Flying around and having to keep up with James whose team she was on, only made it worst. The poor fifth year felt even worst when the six kids landed and stopped being on the move.

''It's so cold.'' Louisa remarked once on the ground on the way to leave the school brooms to their place.

''Welcome to the life of a Quidditch player.'' Sirius said.

The only person that seemed to feel like Love did, was Remus Lupin. The tall boy looked like he regretted it as much as her. Even if she had more endurance as a nephilim, her fingertips were ice cold and that feeling was annoying her because she couldn't grab things well. She wanted to get warm quickly and be ready for anything that could happen, just for safe and harm. She never put her guard down so much.

Just as she was thinking that, someone pulled something over her head down to her ears. Turning around she saw James, now wearing a beanie bonnet as he pulled back his arms from her head. It looked like he placed a beanie bonnet on Love's head too so she wouldn't get cold.

''Thank you.'' She smiled, feeling bad that she wasn't cold enough for this cloth even if it was snowing outside.

''No problem. I always have a spare, a certain Sirius prefers getting his hair messed by the air than by a bonnet. If you haven't brought one for yourself either, something tells me you're like that too, so you'll wear it whether you like it or not.''

The fifth years chuckled and laughed before Louisa spoke up. ''She's kind of like that. She never gets cold, she barely gets gloves before going out.'' She joked. It was a joke only the two girls understood because only them knew what Love was.

The black haired girl returned the beanie bonnet once she entered the castle. It now smelled like vanilla James noticed when he sat on the couch of the Gryffindor Common Room. She smelled good. That's all the attention he gave to it. Love didn't. She was asking herself why did that had to happen? It made her think of James more and think of him as a better lad than she thought he was before it. Why did it had to happen now? She had forgotten of her feelings with the missions and her worry about Louisa, but now she remembered how she felt because something else was added to it. Maybe the Christmas holidays would make her forget the feelings again. Maybe. A few days had passed and she was thinking of the same things plus the new ones that happened. It was nothing much, just a few conversations when Peter wanted to talk to Louisa, but those conversations were what made Love have difficulty concentrating on her homework in the Library.

That night was the last one before the holidays and the holidays were what she needed to stay from the parts of the normal teenage life she was experiencing and wasn't prepared for it. She just needed to focus and get done with her homework. ''Hello, Love.'' Sirius said quietly as he took a seat next to her.

''Hi, Sirius.'' She greeted back, not paying attention to the mischievous smirk he had as usual.

''Louisa said you two will leave for Christmas break tomorrow.''

''Yes.'' She faked a smile. They would attend missions, it was never peaceful, normal or celebrating Christmas.

''Are you going to miss us?'' The grey eyed boy pouted, making puppy eyes.

''Yes, I will.'' Love laughed. Sirius could be cute when he wanted.

''And James I suppose.'' He said out of the blue and returned the mischievous smirk on his lips.

''Yes, James too.'' She played dumb. Partly. She didn't know where that came from.

Sirius' smirk only widened and Love could see how confident he felt. ''I've seen the way you look at him.'' He said even quieter. ''I know you fancy him.''

Love faked a laugh. ''I don't-''

''You don't?'' Sirius' eyebrow was shot upwards in a second. '' Because I'm quite sure I know when a girl likes a lad.''

There was no comeback for that. She couldn't lie to Sirius about that, he did know when a girl fancied someone. ''Does he know too?'' She asked, worried. That was the last thing she needed, she would feel so humiliated.

''No, he's oblivious to anything any other girl but Lily does or says to him, but that can change.'' He seriously said. ''I think he should get over Lily and you seem like a good choice for him. You're kind, a good friend, a Hufflepuff which is the House for the loyal.'' He said with a warning look. ''The other girls that fancied him made it too obvious and ended up angering him while you look like you're avoiding it.''

''I am.'' She said before Sirius could say anything else. ''I don't want a relationship.'' Was the better thing she had to say, but she needed to add something to it. ''I want to be alone.''

''But you fancy him. Don't you want to be with the one you fancy? To kiss him whenever you want?''

''No, I want to pay attention to school now.''

He almost looked convinced. Almost. ''Just to let you know, he likes Christmas a lot and he always enjoys getting letters with Christmas wishes. I believe you have understood Peter fancies Louisa which means that the six of us will spend time together. It would be good to get comfortable to talking with each other.'' He pulled out the friendship card. Love couldn't say no to something that would make Louisa happy. Besides, he had a point, they should get more comfortable to talking with each other. Louisa fancied Peter back more and more, it would probably be a matter of time until the two would begin going out.

''Happy Christmas.'' Said Sirius.

''Happy Christmas.'' Love replied and the black haired boy left for his dorm, feeling like he had done the right thing. He believed Love would be good for his mate. He needed someone as a partner. He was wishing for it for years, but Lily wouldn't spare him a glance unless it was a glare. Love was sweet, a good, respectful friend, she would do something for a friend even if she didn't want to, she doesn't let anyone say something bad for the ones she love. All those and many more as he got to know her, made good girlfriend material, at least for his friend. She had more to her than meets the eye. James loved mystery and would like to find out what more there is in that girl once he realised that there is something.