Tough Ice: Chapter 7 - Katerina

"I'm telling you Kat he's no good, I heard him talking shit about you."
"Oh yeah? What did he say?"
"He called you a- I really don't want to say it."
"Orlov tell me what my boyfriend said about me."
"He called you a backstabbing bitch who doesn't care about other people."
"No he didn't, why would I listen to you? You're some dumb idiot who will stop at nothing to make me miserable. Don't stoop so low that you're trying to ruin my relationship."
"Katerina I don't want you getting hurt."
"As if, fuck off Valery." He sighs and walks away, leaving me beside the now very burnt pizza in the oven. There's no way Theodore said that, he's been kind of distant lately, but I think it's because he's upset that I'm spending all my time at the rink preparing for the 2024 Olympics instead of hanging out with him.
"Hey Kat, is the pizza ready?"
"It's a little burnt Ares, what do you want me to do?"
"How burnt?"
"Mostly just the crust."
"Oh that's fine then, we just won't eat the crust." I laugh and serve out pizza for them, then walk into the lounge room and give it to them. I make awkward eye contact with Valery and sit down, not wanting to deal with all his stupid drama again.

I get to the rink and see Theodore so I run up to him and jump on him, but he doesn't pick me up like he usually would.
"Hey Kat."
"Hi." I give him a little kiss on the lips and he smiles lightly.
"The rink is yours."
"You sure? Cause coach doesn't seem to be done." I look over at him directly orders at just Valery himself on the ice. Theo laughs hollowly,
"I don't know what to tell you. Anyway, see you Kat." He kisses my cheek quickly and walks away, leaving me confused. Why is he so distant lately? Maybe I'm just overthinking it, and I don't know what he's going through anyway.
"Orlov time is power, get off your ass and score a goal." He tries to pick himself up from the ice, but I heard that impact against the wall. "Orlov, get up."
"I don't think I can coach." I finish putting my skates on and run to the rink, then skate over to him quickly. Their coach comes onto the ice to and tries to help him up, it doesn't work.
"What hurts Valery?" He looks at me in pain.
"My left shoulder, and my head" I grab his legs and tell him to use all his ab muscles as I drag him across the ice, bending over while dragging a 200 pound guy is not easy, but necessary. Yes I absolutely despise him, but I of all people know how hard it it to get off the ice when you've injured yourself. I eventually get him to the wall, and drag him out of the door and sit him up against the bleachers.
"Do you feel lightheaded?"
"Mhm."
"Coach call an ambulance please."
"No." I snap my head over to him.
"What?"
"I am not going to the hospital." I roll my eyes and sigh.
"Orlov you're injured and you can barely move."
"I can, see." He stands up, but very quietly groans the entire way up. I grab ahold of his right shoulder very quickly and hold him upright.
"Well, if you're not going to the hospital, then I am taking you home, let's go."
"Thank you Katerina."
"No problem coach." I help Valery walk out of the centre and into the dead car park.
"Thank you Katerina, I know you're not too happy with me right now, so I deeply appreciate what you're doing."
"I'm never happy with you Orlov, now get your ass in my car." I help him get in, then walk around to the drivers side, hop in and start the car.
"Katerina?"
"What?"
"I think Theodore may be cheating on you." Again? Seriously?
"Please stop trying to sabotage my relationship."
"I'm not kidding Katerina, I heard him talking to another teammate saying, 'I love my girlfriend, especially her blonde hair, and green eyes.' Last time I checked, you have brown hair, and brown eyes."
"Did he know you were there?"
"No, I was behind him, he had no way of knowing I was there, I also hid behind a corner when he mentioned 'girlfriend' because I thought he was about to start talking shit about you again."
"I don't know if I can trust you, you've done nothing but purposely piss me off the entire time I've known you, think you're so handsome, so charming, ugh."
"Woah I'm already injured physically don't make me mentally injured."
"I'm sure my words have no effect whatsoever on your ego." I hear him mumble something under his breath, then he lets out a very quiet,
"Ow." As he moves his head.
"You're sure you don't want to go to the hospital? You hit your head and shoulder pretty hard."
"I'm sure, just get me home, I'll put some ice on it, then I'll be fine."
"Whatever you say captain." He laughs, like a genuine laugh, I'm shocked.

I walk into Valery's room with two ice packs, and hand them to him.
"Well, call me if you need anything else, only serious things. I'm going to go shower, then chill. Bye, get better."
"I will, thank you Katerina, good bye." I leave his room and walk back into mine, pull my phone out, and block Theodore's number.

_______________

I have never been more proud of a cliffhanger.