Tough Ice: Chapter 37 - Katerina

I glance up at the exam clock.

7 minutes.

I can get two questions done in seven minutes.

I write down the answer for the second last question and I flip over the page to the last one.

'What is a lobotomy?'

I rest my chin on my hand and think.

Prefrontal cortex, prefrontal cortex- fuck.

I rub my eye softly.

A lobotomy is a neurosurgical treatment for psychiatric disorder or neurological disorder that involves severing the connections in the brain's prefrontal cortex.

I scribble down the answer and finish just as the exam ends, and I huff out a breath, dropping my pen out of my fingers and onto the table.

"Your exam is now finished, you may exit." I grab my things off the desk and stand up quickly, eyeing Natasha, who's standing at the back of the room, waiting for me.

My feet reach her and I sigh loudly.
"I finished the last question two seconds before the time ran out." We walk out of the exam room and walk out of campus, as we talk.
"I finished like two minutes before the exam ended, we definitely did not study enough."
"I know-" Someone taps my shoulder lightly and I turn around quickly.
"Hi Katerina!"
"Oh hey Christian." I slightly look over to Nat, who's got a questioning look on her face.
"How'd you do in the final?"
"Good I think-" I cut myself off when I see Valery walking towards us from a distance.
"Sorry I need to go Christian, my boyfriend's here to pick me up."
"Boyfriend?" Valery comes up beside me and wraps his arm around my waist, squeezing tightly, while he glares at Christian.
"Valery, this is Christian, he's in my medicine class, Christian, this is my boyfriend, Valery." Christian sticks his hand out timidly, while Valery stares down at it, then looks back at Christian, pissed of.
"Katerina love, we really must be going." I nod slightly and wave goodbye to Christian, Natasha left clueless to run after us.

"Kat who is that?"
"He's a guy in our medicine class, I met him about two weeks ago, he seems nice."
"And into you," Valery finally speaks up.
"Baby! He's not into me!" Natasha bites her lip and looks at me.
"Kit Kat he looks at you the same way Valery did before you guys started dating, he is definitely into you."
"So what? I have a boyfriend, who I do not intend leaving-"
"Good to know princess," I stare at him and stick my tongue out.
"As I was saying, I have a boyfriend, and and I do not intend to leave him, especially for another blonde guy."

"Just be careful Kat, I don't trust him."
"It'll be fine, we graduate in two weeks anyway, I won't see him again after that, unless he posts something on instagram, then I'll see that- but still!" Valery's grip on my waist tightens.
"You followed him on instagram princess?"
"It was only so I could send him my notes, I would've given him my notebook but I needed it for my next class."
"I want you to unfollow him right now love."
"That seems extreme, I'll just make sure I tell both of you if he does something."
"Yes you will be Kat, I really don't trust him."
"I'll be okay, anyway, Nat I'm going out with Valery, I'll be home later to pack up most of my stuff, so I'll see you later, yeah?"
"Yeah, love you babe!" I kiss her cheek quickly and she speed-walks over to her car, then Valery flips me around to face him.

"Katerina."
"Valery."
"I do not want him talking to you ever again, otherwise I will crush his skull," He deadpans. I gulp and flit my eyes between both of his light brown ones. "We clear?"
"Yep." He smiles widely and kisses my forehead.
"How'd you do on your exam?"
"I finished with like 2 seconds left, but I think I did well!"
"I'm proud of you no matter how you did princess." I smile as he starts walking us to his car.
"Hey how come we never take my car? It's just collecting dust at this point."
"That's cause we usually go to wherever we need to go together, and my car just somehow always happens to be more convenient."
"Hm." Another soft kiss is pressed into my forehead as a soft click comes from his car, and he opens the door for me. "What a gentleman." He grins and closes the door softly once I'm in the car, then walks around to his side.