Tough Ice: Chapter 12 - Valery

I sneak into Kat's room with Ares and Natasha, trying not to wake her up. We get to beside her bed, then Nat shakes her.
"What? Oh-"
"HAPPY BIRTHDAY KAT!" We all sit beside her and give her a hug after she said thank you, god she's so beautiful.
"What time is it?" I look at my watch.
"8am princess."
"Seriously? The one day I have off from a class you wake me up early?"
"Kat it's your birthday."
"Still." I chuckle and watch as her brother hands her a gift. "How bad is the gift Ares?"
"It's good I promise." She opens up the big box and is met with a new pair of skates. The entire leather part is covered with diamantés, she's going to look amazing with them on.
"Woah, how expensive were these Ares?"
"Why would I tell you?"
"I don't know, because I'm your sister and you love me."
"I hate you." Natasha shoves him.
"On her birthday, I don't know if I want you as my boyfriend anymore." Ares gasps dramatically.
"You wouldn't."
"Oh I would." I exchange a quick glance at Katerina, who does the same, then she clears her throat to stop them from flirting in front of her. Natasha hands her a gift next. Out of the box comes the most beautiful skating costume I have ever seen, and it matches perfectly with the skates; diamantés spread across it, grey accents across the white background.
"I love it Nat, thank you!" She's got the cutest smile on her face. "Should I go try it on?"
"Yes yes go." Katerina jumps off the bed with the costume when Ares stops her.
"You're not going to try on the skates?"
"They'll ruin the wood."
"Right, go on." She runs into the bathroom and locks the door, she takes a couple minutes, then I hear the door unlock.
Holy fuck. She looks amazing. She shines so bright even the stars are jealous, she could snatch each and every one of them right out of the sky, and she would make up for them. I'm blinded by her, she's like the sun, rises every morning, sets every night. She's the sun during the day, the stars at night. I could wish upon a shooting star, and I'd only be wishing on her, she is the light of the world, my world. People say the world doesn't revolve around anyone, well my world revolves around her, she is my main purpose of being. If she was the moon, I'd be the tide, I'd follow her every move, every command. She is the North Star and I am simply a traveller waiting for her to guide me along the path to something. I don't know what that something is, but it includes her being, her essence is embedded in my soul.
"You look amazing Kat." Natasha's words snap me back to reality. She does a little spin, and then a pose.
"You look great princess." She flushes slightly and turns back to Natasha.
"I know what I'm going to wear this for?"
"And what is that Kat?"
"I have a program booked a few weeks after we move to America, nationals, then if I win at nationals, I could get a chance to compete with USA in the Olympics."
"I didn't even know, I'm proud of you Kat, but don't you have to compete first to go to nationals?"
"Yes, but that already happened, I sent them a routine a couple days prior and they were more than happy to move me on in the competition, I came first in my category!"
"And you told no one?" She nods happily and sits back down.
"You know what I think?" We all look at her, then Ares says,
"What do you think Kat?"
"I think you should make me an amazing cup of coffee."
"Already done, look to your left." She looks to the nightstand on her left and she looks at the breakfast we made her hesitantly.
"That's a lot of food guys."
"You'll be okay Kat, it is your birthday after all."
"You guys are helping me then."
"Happy to sis." Katerina looks at me weirdly, then she picks up the breakfast plate, and hums happily when she takes a bite of bacon. I still can't shake off the feeling like someone is telling her to stop eating. I don't know if it's her coach or her parents, but it's odd, I'm worried about her, I can't live without her, I know that sounds selfish, but I seriously can't.
"Orlov you want some?"
"No, you eat it please." She frowns and tries to stuff it in my mouth. "Hey!" She giggles, then takes advantage of my open mouth and shoves some scrambled egg in it. "Katerina Petrakis, I swear-"
"Oh shit Kat, you're in for it, he just called you but your full name."
"No he didn't, I have a middle name." I frown at her, but then chuckle.
"And what's your middle name love?"
"Watch your mouth around my sister." Kat looks at her brother and rolls her eyes.
"You know he only does it as a joke." I see Natasha frown out of the corner of my eye.
"So, what is your middle name Katerina?"
"I'm not going to fall for it, if I tell you, then you'll say my full name, and I'll be done for."
"I would never hurt you, I just wanna know what your middle name is." She sighs and sits on her legs.
"Fine, my middle name is Eleni ."
"Katerina Eleni Petrakis, that's beautiful." She blushes and little bit and takes a sip of coffee to hide it, but I still see her red cheeks. "Did your dad name you?" She nods.
"Kinda, Mum didn't want us having Russian names with a Greek last name. She did come up with the names though, but yeah, my full name is just Greek."
"Ares I'm assuming the same for you?" He nods and looks back at Kat, then at me.
"Are you going to give her the present you got her?"
"Oh, not right now, I want to give it to her at the rink."
"I'm right here you know." We both look at her and laugh.
"Sorry princess." She giggles and reaches her arms out for Natasha. Natasha crawls over into her arms and they start cuddling, rendering me and Ares to look at each other, astounded.
"What the fuck are you two doing."
"What does it look like we're doing thick head."
"Cuddling? Which is not something best friends commonly do."
"In guy world, girls cuddle each other all the time."
"I will never understand girls." Kat boops my nose and giggles.
"Good, it's for us to know and for you to not find out." I chuckle at her and move up on the bed.
"Scooch over Natasha, she gets birthday hugs from everyone." Natasha scoots over, a huge smile plastered on her face while she looks at Kat, who rolls her eyes. I wrap my arms around her shoulders while Natasha's head lay in her lap, Ares is sitting on the end of the bed, unsure what to do.
"Come on, we did it when we were little, what's the difference now." He sighs and moves up, then puts his head just below where Natasha's is.
"You guys happy?"
"Very." I chuckle and lean into Katerina's ear.
"Happy 20th birthday princess." She smiles and rests her head on my shoulder.
"Thank you kind sir." I laugh and think about what I got her, hoping she'll love it.

____________

Valery has got some serious poetry talent. No but seriously I showed it to my best friends and they said they literally fucking blushed, I'm so proud.