Tough Ice: Chapter 43 - Katerina

I hike my bag up higher on my shoulder as I walk into a restaurant to meet Valery.
"Love?" I spin around on my heel and smile as I spot him a couple of metres away.

"Hey." He stands up and passes me a bouquet of flowers, then scratches the back of his neck.
"They're beautiful, but why?"
"I haven't seen you in ages."
"I saw you this morning when we woke up."
"My point. Ages." I laugh and sit down opposite the chair he was sitting on previously, then he sits down again, and stares down at the wine glass.

"Valery?" His eyes flit up and he hums lowly,
"Yes?"
"Everything okay? You're acting as if we're going on a first date."
"I'm fine." I narrow my eyes at him and watch as his eyes float around the restaurant.
"Orlov." His eyes divert back to me, and his adam's apple bobs up and down. "What did you do?"
"Nothing."
"If you don't tell me in the next five seconds what the fuck is going on I'm going to get up and leave."
"No!" He grabs my wrist on the table, then loosens his grip slightly. "Fine. My father and brother are here. LA, I have my guys figuring out their whereabouts."
"Why are you so quiet then? It's not like we didn't know this was coming."
"I need to be careful." His jaw ticks slightly. "One fucking slip up and everything's fucked."
"We'll be fine baby." His jaw ticks again, then he looks to the side as the waitress walks over.

"Hi! What can I get for you guys tonight?" I smile at her softly and pick up the menu.
"Um-"
"I wasn't talking to you." I dart my head up in surprise, then I glance at Valery quickly, then back at her. "So what can I get you sir?"

"Don't fucking talk to my fiancée like that." She rolls her eyes and turns to me.
"The salad perhaps? Katerina?" I furrow my brows.
"Excuse me?"
"Figure skater, need to stay in shape." Valery clenches his jaw and stands up.
"We'll be going now, and leave her the fuck alone, she's perfect." Valery grabs my hand and pulls me up, so I grab the bouquet and my bag and follow after him hurriedly,

"Valery! Where are we going?"
"Away from here." He scoops me up and crosses the street.
"I have legs Valery, I can walk."
"Yes, but I'm not letting you go." I sigh and wrap my arms around his neck.
"Am I really that fat? I feel like people are always telling me to lose weight."
"No darling, you're not fat, and even if you were, you'd still be as perfect as you are."
"Nobody's perfect Valery." He scoffs and eyes me, then places me back down on the ground, but grabs two of my fingers tightly, then he spots something and pushes me into an alleyway and covers my body with his. His hand reaches to cover my mouth and I stare up at him, my brows furrowing.

After what seems like a lifetime, which was probably only 45 seconds, he lets me go and kisses the top of my head softly.
"What happened?"
"My brother, he was about to cross to this side of the street, probably heading to the restaurant where we just were."
"Someone must've followed me in and tipped him off." His eyes trace along my face, then his eyes dip to my dress, and I feel him harden against my stomach.

"Did I tell you how pretty you look?" He runs his hand up and down my arm and stares into my eyes.
"No."
"Well then, you look absolutely divine love." I smile and put my head on Valery's chest, and he immediately wraps his arms around me.
"I don't feel safe anymore Valery."
"With me darling, you'll always be safe." I sob into his chest and he hugs me tighter. "Don't cry, he's not worth your tears."

I get into Valery's car and watch as his muscles flex while he turns the car on; and he says he's the one who struggles with keeping my cool when looking at the other person.

A call from one of my students parents interrupts my thoughts, and I immediately pick up.
"Hola Luisa, ¿Todo bien?"
"Sí. ¿Solo quería saber cuándo comienza de nuevo el entrenamiento.? Isabella se muere por verte y volver al hielo."
"Oh, claro, el 5 de agosto será el primer día de entrenamiento de Isabella para la temporada, debería ser a las 4 p.m."
"Ah. ¡Gracias Katerina!"
"De nada. ¡adiós!"
"¡Adiós!" I hang up the phone and Valery's staring at me, confused, but lovingly.
"What?"
"Since when do you speak Spanish?"
"Since Isabella joined my class and her mother isn't very good with English."
"What next, you tell me you speak French, or Italian?"
"I speak both of those..." His eyebrows raise, then he reaches over and grabs my face, then kisses me softly.

"What was that for?"
"You're so talented love." I smile and he places his hand on my thigh, then drives off. "I need to talk to you about something sweetheart." His voice softens, and he swallows his saliva quickly. "I think you need to go into hiding."
"What?" He turns his head to me, then back on the road.
"Like a safe house."
"No I know what you mean, I was just more shocked."
"I just don't want you getting hurt Katerina."
"Maybe just as a last resort thing, give it some more time, you might fix it before I even have to go into hiding. I'll be away from my friends and my family for so long, I just don't know if i really want to do that."
"What about me?"
"You are my family, we're engaged Valery." I smack my face and drag my hand down it.
"I know, I was so nervous baby." I turn my head to him at the 'baby'.
"What did you just call me?"
"I see your reposts darling," He grins and squeezes my thigh, sending jolts through my body.

The keypad flashes green and he opens the door for me, then ushers me inside.
"Do we have any vases?"
"I don't know, you're the one who uses them."
"You're the one who buys the flowers for me!"
"Touché love." I scan the kitchen for a free vase, then I spot one up on the top shelf, and climb up on the counter to get it. I feel hands grip my hips as my hands wrap around the ceramic, then he lifts me down. I turn around and frown at him, and he smirks, then snatches the vase away from me.
"Valery- oh my god." He sticks his tongue out from the opposite side of the counter, and I cross my arms over my chest. "Give me the vase back." He grins at my frown and slides the vase on the counter over to me. "Thank you." He rests his head on top of his elbows on the counter and watches me out the flowers into the vase while grinning. "What?"
"Nothing." I furrow my brows and walk past him and down the hallway, and I place my bag down on the bed, then I slowly unzip the side of my dress.
"Fuck-" I tug at the piece of hair caught in the zipper, and yelp out in pain as a couple strands rip out.
"Baby?" I turn around to the door and look down at the hair in the zip.
"Can you help?" He nods and walks over to me, and tries zipping the dress back up, but that only hurts more, and I yell out.
"Sorry darling." I nod and he slowly unzips it, and pulls away the strands softly. He moves his hands away and doesn't at my face. "There you are!" I grin and kiss his cheek softly.
"Thank youuu." He smiles and turns his other cheek toward my mouth.
"Just one more?" His eyes lock with mine, and he pleads through them.
"No because that turns into other 'just one more' then another 'just one more'"
"Pleaseeee? I promise it'll just be one."
"Fine." He grins and I kiss his other cheek and step back. "Happy?"
"Very!" I roll my eyes, and then I sit down and take my heels off, place them on the shoe rack in the cupboard.
"I'll be out of the shower in a bit my love?" He groans as I close the bathroom door, and turn the shower on extra hot.

________________

Hey loves, sorry this took multiple years, as i said last time, i've just been super busy with school, and I'm also kinda running out of ideas, cause I still need a few more filler chapters before the big climax, so idk. I finish the school year next friday (24th Nov) so hopefully i'll have more time to update for you guys :)