Prologue: The Tragedy of Darth Plagueis the Wise

The old and cunning Chancellor Palpatine gazed into the swirling orbs of the Space Opera. The young and reckless Anakin Skywalker was by his side.

Palpatine spoke with deliberation and purposely did not meet the young Jedi's stare. "Good is a point of view, Anakin... the Sith and the Jedi are similar in almost every way." Palpatine paused, "Including their quest for greater power."

Anakin pondered for a moment. His gaze shifted to the wise Chancellor. "The Sith rely on their passion for their strength. They think inwards, only about themselves."

Palpatine turned, his eyes wide, and looked upon Anakin. "And the Jedi don't?"

"The Jedi are selfless...they only care about others," Anakin spoke flatly.

Palpatine exhaled inaudibly. He took a long look at Anakin before slowly turning his head back to the Opera which had just received a polite smattering of applause. Less than five heartbeats passed before he lifted his head and began.

"Did you ever hear the Tragedy of Darth Plagueis the Wise?"

Anakin's eyes darted to the side at these words and turned his head to the Chancellor. "No." Anakin replied.

"I thought not. It's not a story the Jedi would tell you." A slight bit of mirth crept into the Chancellor's voice. "It's a Sith legend."

He continued, the mirth drained from his voice, "Darth Plagueis was a Dark Lord of the Sith, so powerful and so wise he could use the Force to influence the midichlorians to create..." Palpatine met Anakin's gaze, "...life."

A ghost of a smile crossed the Chancellor's face then he turned away from the young Jedi. "He had such a knowledge of the Dark side that he could even keep the ones he cared about from...dying."

Palpatine turned to Anakin who was gazing at the opera. The young Jedi's mind was lightyears away. Anakin came back to his senses.

Anakin's eyes alit with hope as he exchanged a look with the Chancellor. "He could actually...save people from death?"

Palpatine diverted his attention to the swirling orbs and spoke to Anakin in a slow, dramatic manner. "The dark side of the Force is a pathway to many abilities some consider to be...unnatural..."

"Wh—what happened to him?" Anakin stuttered, looking to the Chancellor.

Palpatine went on. "He became so powerful...the only thing he was afraid of was..." Palpatine glanced at Anakin. "...losing his power...which eventually, of course, he did."

Palpatine paused as he turned back to the enchanting oceanic orbs.

"Unfortunately, he taught his apprentice everything he knew, then his apprentice killed him in his sleep." Palpatine halted dramatically. "It's ironic...he could save others from death..." He held back a vicious smile. "...but not himself."

"Is it possible to learn this power?"

Palpatine's lips curled as Anakin spoke those blessed words. Anakin retained his façade of calm, but Palpatine could sense the conflict, the suffering within him.

He turned slowly to meet his eventual apprentice's desperate gaze. The Sith Lord coolly spoke. "Not from a Jedi."

A/N: I recognize this piece of dialogue belongs to Disney and Lucasfilm. I transferred it from visual into a novel format so if anyone needs to refresh their mind on the legend then they can. I mean James Luceno somehow forgot that Plagueis has people he cares about so......