Chapter 37 | Blood is Thicker than Water & Much Stickier

"Through Victory my chains are Broken. The Force shall free me." A soft voice echoed off the walls of the cella.

In a flash of crimson light, Palpatine had drawn his saber and switched it on. His eyes darted around the temple. He followed the sound as he did a slow one-eighty. He remembered how Plagueis taught his form and did so, holding the lightsaber with both of his hands.

"Good...very good." Palpatine could hear his master's praise in his ear, a distant memory from the Works.

The red of the lightsaber collided with the green of the statue. A disgusting yellow emerged from it, the light danced across the floor as Palpatine moved methodically through the Temple.

"Darth Sidious..." the same soft voice spoke again. Palpatine pivoted towards the voice, he held his lightsaber firmly in front of him. The voice had come from the pedestal, a figure stood in front of the glimmering eyed statue, clothed in darkness.

"You know what I have come for." Palpatine said slowly not daring to take his eyes off the figure. "I have done all your puzzles. Now...hand it over, ghoul"

"I'm afraid the puzzles aren't over quite yet, my eager Sith cherub." The figure said in that obnoxiously soft voice, "What of the other contestant?" A devious smile made of sharp teeth spread across the cloaked figure's face.

"There is no other contestant." Palpatine said. He took cautious steps towards the Sith ghoul. "Now, hand over the 'Eyes of Chiaroscuro." Palpatine extended forward his hand.

"Uh uh uh." The figure tutted, raising a grisly hand up with long jagged claws and began shaking it from side to side. "Bring forward the other contestant or...I shall do it myself."

"No. There is no other contestant." Palpatine said firmly. "Now, give it to me or I will take it by force."

"Challenging me is a death wish, dear. I may be a slumbering Sith Lord, but I have had centuries beyond your lifetime to perfect my craft unlike you."

Slumbering? More like dead.

"Killing your debilitated Force-feeble brother should be effortless to obtain the prize you seek." The voice let out a little giggle. "Would you like to disappoint your master, young Sith?"

"I will not murder my brother. I've already won. Give me the prize." Palpatine insisted.

"Tell your master that, boy." The Sith ghoul simpered. The long, mangled fingers outstretched themselves and green vile electricity surged from them. Palpatine's eyes widened, he dropped to the ground and rolled to his right. A statue shielded him from the wicked current. As he peered around his brows furrowed, the electricity wasn't chasing after him.

Palpatine covered his agape mouth in horror as he heard a scream. He thought it was his own for a minute but this one was familiar. A writhing body was being dragged across the room. Vile green power wreathed its limbs.

"PREDUNE!" Palpatine screamed. He tore across the stone floor towards the limp form of his brother. Palpatine dove in front of his brother's dragging body and held up his lightsaber to block the electricity. Palpatine gritted his teeth as he held it up. His hands were beginning to tremble already. "STOP!" he thundered.

The green electricity ceased, and the disfigured hands of the ghoul came to rest. Palpatine fell to his knees beside his brother and touched his brother's scorching hand. The skin had turned a hot raw red and was sizzling visibly.

Predune hissed weakly and his eyes snapped open as he looked upon Palpatine.

"Why...why did you bring us here?" Predune cried. His voice was still strong somehow.