Chapter 18 | The Raging Rancor Incident

Palpatine arrived a little before dawn in the Youth Senator Apartments floor 66 longue. Only a few of the other Youth Senators were awake. Those who were there had either accidentally fallen asleep the night before or were already beginning their duties at said ungodly hour.

There was a small dining area set off to the side with a few tables and chairs. A droid prepared breakfast at the mini restaurant. Palpatine was on the verge of collapsing despite the very exciting night that had just occurred. Very few people could say they had become a Sith apprentice in less than a day.

"May I please have a Raging Rancor?" he asked the droid. Palpatine leaned on the counter with only the pure will of getting a Raging Rancor keeping him awake. The droid gave an affirmative beep before disappearing into the kitchen.

His were eyelids were drooping shut when the droid finally returned. The droid told Palpatine politely, "My apologies, Youth Senator of Naboo, there is currently no Raging Rancor left in stock."

"None!?" Palpatine blinked a few times.

How is that even possible? I made sure there would be enough! I asked the supervisor specifically to ensure there would be enough Raging Rancor!?

"Look again." He insisted. The droid obeyed.

It returned again, again empty handed. "My apologies, sir, would you like another quencher perhaps—"

Palpatine interrupted the droid. "I would like a caf. Extra sugar."

The droid left and came back with the quencher, sliding it across the counter. "The cost of the caf will be ten credits."

Palpatine dropped the credits into the droid's outstretched mechanical hand. He had been using his credits sparingly due to his budget, leaving it only for meals and transportation. The thought of credits made him anxious. He would have to eventually have to tell his mother the unfortunate news about the Model GR. About the damage he had caused and about the hefty cost they would have to pay.

The droid went on with its standard advertising spiel. "Thank you for using the Youth Senatorship Apartments meal supplier—" Palpatine walked away with his caf.

Palpatine took a sip and made a sour face. Even with sugar it still tastes bitter. He kept drinking it since it would still give the same effect as the Raging Rancor, but it was...much less preferred.

Palpatine walked by most of the stragglers on the way to his room. His mother was about to Comm him in twenty minutes and he was hoping he could rest for a bit. Perhaps read a book quietly or surf on the HoloNet, yes, that would be nice. Although something caught his eye, he took a few steps back.

He spied Ovirelt by a magnificent indoor fountain pouring something into the water. She had two empty cartons beside her and a half empty third one. Palpatine read the logo on the side of the carton. Blood rushed to his cheeks. He downed the rest of the bitter caf and tossed it into a nearby disposer. Then he stalked over to the fountain.

"What in the blazes are you doing, Ovirelt?" Palpatine demanded as she poured another can full of Raging Rancor into the fountain.

"Simply purging my apartment complex of this sugary junk." Ovirelt told Palpatine with a bite in her voice.

Ovirelt took the last can of the Raging Rancor and opened it. Palpatine made a grab for it, but Ovirelt was quicker. She dodged his hand and let the Raging Rancor Palpatine so dearly loved flow down the drain.

"So, you bought out all of the Raging Rancor. For what purpose? Just to spite me?" Palpatine forced a laugh trying not to seem as angry as he was. "You amuse me, Ovirelt."