Chapter 14 | A Great Light, a Great Shadow

"Are you completely sure you don't need medical attention, Palpatine? There's a med bay in this Temple." Sifo-Dyas looked upon the young Palpatine, concern riddling his face. They were striding through one of the main halls of the Jedi Temple.

Palpatine tried to conceal his slight limp. It wasn't terrible, but it was not ideal to have a twisted ankle. Every second was precious. Bazaron...Plagueis was dangerous. He was a Sith Lord. The last thing he wanted to do was deviate from his mission.

"No, please, Sifo-Dyas. I am quite alright," Palpatine insisted with a polite smile.

Sifo-Dyas grimaced as they passed an unsightly drawing on the wall. A maintenance droid was smoothing over gashes where some sort of phasma etcher had blazed the insulting graffiti into the wall. Palpatine stared at it. "What happened?"

"A mischievous mudscuffer—that's what happened." Sifo-Dyas replied and stared at the obscenity before them. "I almost got him. Almost. I'll get him next time. I swear." Palpatine nodded hesitantly. They walked on.

His hand went to his HoloComm when it started blinking. Palpatine glanced up at Sifo-Dyas and he motioned to an empty corridor off to their left. "May I take this? It will just take a minute."

"Of course!" Sifo-Dyas waved him off. A Jedi Rodian was speaking to his fellow Jedi down the hall. "I have to talk with Master Hago anyway. Take your time! I mean...within reason. We must find Dooku."

Palpatine stepped into the empty corridor. Perhaps it's Buddy. Or Girris. Oh, I forgot to tell Girris that my plans changed. Whoever was Comming him at this late hour was surely not pleasant. With a deep breath he clicked the blinking HoloComm.

A familiar face flickered up, "Oh, Sheev! Hello there! Preparations for Mairda's wedding has just been so crazy. How did the Model GR go? You could barely stop talking about it before you left."

"Mother?" He walked farther away from the main corridor. Palpatine hid behind a statue of an ancient Chiss Jedi, Fyra Vytuia. "What time is it in Naboo?" he glanced down at his HoloBand clock that said half past 0000.

His mother glanced off screen. "About 0900." Her gaze returned to Palpatine's with a curious expression. "Why do you ask?"

"Well, mother. Its midnight...where I am." Palpatine informed her. His finger hovered over the HoloComm button. "I believe we can talk lat—"

"Oh, I'm sorry! I'm just...it's so strange for you to be so far away." His mother laughed although Palpatine could detect an anxious note in her tone, "Predune's off somewhere with his husband. Mairda, you know, she used to stop by when she wasn't crusading on some adventure. And now...she's going to be married and gone...and I'm happy for all of you but...I..." she trailed off.

"Well, Sheev. What are you doing up at this fine hour?" His mother appeared to be trying to look behind him. Palpatine stepped closer to the wall away from the Jedi statue. "Are you with friends?" she waggled her eyebrows, "At a party...?"

Palpatine almost laughed but he didn't for his own mother's sake. No, I'm on a mission for THE Dark Lord of the Sith! However, he realized his dark feelings were wandering beyond the deepest corner of his heart. Before any Jedi could detect that dark Force emitting from him— he wretched it back and buried it even deeper. It was so...suffocating, the weight of all his darkness was almost too much to bear, but he held out.

"No, I'm afraid not, mother. You see, I'm studying," he lied. His finger hovered over the HoloComm button.

"One more thing, I need to talk about Mairda's wedding. Times, transportation, and such." His mother held a hand to her temple, "Sheev, I honestly don't know what to do. Mairda might not be able to get her big white wedding if your cousin keeps soaking up the funds." She sighed deeply.