Chapter 30 | Friends in Low Places

Did Palpatine enjoy watching horror HoloShows? Of course. Did he ever want to live one? Certainly not. Was he living one right now? Yes.

He dropped and rolled out of the way of the impending demonic thing on his ceiling. Palpatine stood up, swiping the lightsaber wildly.

Whatever it was, was gone. The room was splashed with the light of his lightsaber, nothing could hide in the darkness. "Do you flee so soon?" he whispered. Palpatine circled the center of the room, watching every shadow at all angles. Waiting for it to jump out at him.

"I do not flee. You shall. You shall flee in fear. In the fear you shall share the same fate as your family." It hissed. Palpatine swiveled towards his bedroom door.

"You will not touch them." He spat. "The stars above as my witness. You will not."

It let out a guttural laugh. "Such strong words sprouting from a place of indifference." It went on, a bite in its voice. "You are not like them. You are an outsider. Why should you care whether they live or die?"

Palpatine ignored its words and plowed ahead, slamming open his bedroom door. "Hold your forked tongue, demon."

It laughed again. "You know I speak the truth."

Palpatine didn't answer that. Surely, he felt some sort of love for his family. He should. Of course, he did. Yet he did feel...distant. That's the only word he could use to describe it. Was he supposed to feel distant from his family members?

"Where are you?!" he demanded.

A scream was his reply. A voice, a very familiar voice which made his blood run cold.

"Mairda?" He paused as only silence responded.
"MAIRDA!" he cried as he tore through the hall.

Mairda. No, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no. I won't let this happen. I'll get you for this, you good for nothing...

Just as Palpatine ran past Predune's door, the bedroom door creaked open. Predune poked his head out of the door and frowned, "What in Naboo's name are you doing, Sheevy?" Predune watched as his brother rounded the bend and kept running.

Hearth peered down the hall from over his husband's shoulder, "What's he doing?"

Predune shrugged, "Sleep-running I call it. I thought he grew out of it. Apparently not."

Hearth creased his brow as Predune shut the bedroom door behind them. "Should we check on him?" Hearth paused, "Are you sure he's sleepwalking...I mean sleep running as you say?

"Its fine, my love." Predune waved a dismissive hand as he lay down on the bed. "We have a long day ahead of us tomorrow. Let's rest."

Hearth crawled into bed, curling up and looping his arms around Predune. "Okay, if you say so." He sighed contentedly, "I love you."

Predune whispered, "I know." He planted a kiss on his husband's hand and held it close to his chest as they dozed off to sleep.

Palpatine crept down the hall nearing his sister's bedroom door, step by step. His breath was heavy, the hilt of the lightsaber slippery in his hands. All was still. All was silent. All was too still and silent.

"Mairda?" He turned the doorknob slowly then slammed it open.

"AAAAAH!" Palpatine jumped as he heard another scream. The room was dark then all of a sudden it was full of light.

Jim withdrew his hand from the lamp while Mairda stared at Palpatine. They were both snuggled under the sheets, looking very much annoyed at their rude awakening.