Chapter 7 | The Fateful Meeting

Palpatine's consciousness rejoined his body, jolting him to reality. A pair of yellow eyes flickered across the Opera. The figure turned away and disappeared into the darkness. Palpatine blinked a few times, not sure if what he saw was a figment of his imagination or real. It's those same eyes...from yesterday...

"Palpatine are you quite alright? You seemed lightyears away." a voice asked. Palpatine turned to see Senator Formidas gazing at him with a concerned look.

Palpatine glanced around him realizing it was only him and the Formidas family remaining, the mother and the son. Jaxious was engrossed in the opera.

It appeared many other bureaucrats watching had left as well. The table was empty apart from them.

"What happened to everyone?" Palpatine inquired.

Formidas waved her hand with an unconcerned gesture. "Oh, they got bored. As most do at your age. Very few have the will and strength to make it through operas nowadays." Palpatine nodded. Formidas's gaze shifted to her son. "Jaxious, may you ask the droid to bring up more cuisine and quenchers?"

Jaxious obeyed, his chair scraping as he got up. Palpatine mirrored Jaxious. Palpatine insisted, "No, I can get the droid. It's no trouble, Senator Formidas."

I don't want to seem rude.

"Please, sit, Palpatine." Senator Formidas requested. Palpatine glanced back at Jaxious as her son scurried out of the private box.

Palpatine sat beside Senator Formidas, twisting his ring as he waited expectantly. A few heartbeats passed then Formidas asked him, "Tell me about yourself, Palpatine."

Palpatine was taken aback, "There's not much to tell."

"I've heard many lies in my life but none as blatant as that." Formidas insisted, "Indulge me. I have plenty of time."

"Why should I tell you?" Palpatine brows furrowed with skepticism.

"Palpatine...there is no need for mistrust with me." Formidas sighed deeply, "I know it must be hard to bear the trauma of that disaster from yesterday. I cannot even begin to comprehend. To even begin to understand the anger, the fear, you felt in those perilous moments."

Palpatine gazed out onto the opera as the father onstage butchered his wife, accusing her of murdering his son. The opera had turned quite sour, a very abrupt change. Strange...

Palpatine started, "I don't know. I can't even comprehend it myself." The fresh memories flooded his mind. Darkness drowned his senses. "I guess I've never felt so helpless before in my life. I just didn't know what to say, what to do."

Formidas steepled her hands. "You will learn if you spend enough time here how to fend off such fiends. I was much like you before I came here. Helpless. Not sure in the ways of diplomacy. Over time I learned and grew. Diplomacy became my weapon."

Palpatine scoffed at that. "Diplomacy could hardly be called a weapon."

Formidas told him in a stern voice, "Savages say that a blaster speaks louder than words. But diplomacy and negotiations can prevail above all else. To twist words in your favor and speak in such a way to stir people. It is a secret weapon. An underestimated weapon many leaders wield."

Palpatine took a moment to consider but remained unsure.

"Think about it, Palpatine." She motioned out to the senators viewing the opera. "Our world is built on words. Democracy is built on words. The Republic is built on words."

Senator Formidas went on.

"Our world was not built by pillaging and blasting people to smithereens. It is what makes diplomacy so powerful in the Senate. It is the raw and utter power of words. As ironic and as unlikely it is, it remains true."