Chapter 19 | Ovirelt Continues to Vex our Hero

"Mother, please, let me explain. It's not what you think it is," Palpatine tried to tell her quickly. He started to twist his ring.

"Oh, I know exactly what it was." An edge crept into her voice, "You were baited by some rich mudscuffer Coruscanti! They should be the one paying for the damages! They've got more than enough credits." Palpatine turned down the volume.

"So...you know about the 66,000 credits?" Palpatine asked hesitantly. His mother nodded. So, she's not angry at me. She's angry on my behalf.

"Yes. I received that charge right after you first Commed me." His mother put a hand to her temple. "Blazes...the yacht and now this. Oh, poor Mairda, now we can't afford her beautiful white wedding." Tears brimmed in his mother's eyes, but she wiped them away. "I just wanted it to be special, you know, Sheev." Palpatine honestly did not know but he nodded along.

"It will most likely be fine, mother. Mairda is very forgiving and...you'll figure something out, you always do." Palpatine tried to reassure her and then he brightened as he thought of a clever idea, "Wasn't Mairda talking about how she always wanted to do a race as her wedding? Perhaps you can do that instead. It's much more inexpensive."

His mother mused, "Well, it's incredibly unconventional but it is affordable. Though Mairda herself is a nice girl, some of her...racing friends are quite...rude and eccentric. I'm not so sure that's a good idea."

Palpatine sighed deeply. "It's at least an idea. It is what Mairda wanted in the first place and now it's the best option given the circumstances." –because of foolish Bratte.

She puzzled it over for a few heartbeats then she concluded, "Ugh...fine. You make a point." Her gaze shifted past his shoulder. "Are your friends behind you?"

Palpatine twisted around to see Jaxious and Ovirelt conversing behind him. Jaxious was being oddly friendly towards someone that had been their enemy.

Jaxious asked Palpatine, "Is that your mom?" Palpatine nodded. Ovirelt was staring at Palpatine's mother. Get away, Ovirelt.

Palpatine's mother waved at them. "Hello, Sheev's friends."

Ovirelt's face split with the widest and fakest smile Palpatine had ever seen. Ovirelt greeted his mother. "Oh, hi, Mrs. Palpatine. My name is Kidria Ovirelt. I'm Sheev's friend. It's a pleasure to meet you." She continued smoothly, "Mrs. Palpatine, I must say you look gorgeous, and that necklace is beautiful."

Palpatine's eyes widened. Why are you talking to my mother, you moron?

Palpatine's mother beamed at Ovirelt's comment. "Why, thank you, Kidria. You're so sweet."

SWEET? SHE'S INSANE!

Palpatine tried to move his HoloComm out of the way, but his mother pressed on. "Sheevy, it's not embarrassing to have friends. You didn't have that many for a long time. I'm so happy for you."

He didn't even have to turn to know Ovirelt had a vicious leer on her face. Palpatine was mortified.

His mother addressed Jaxious. "What's your name?"

Jaxious gave his mother a genuine smile. "Hello, Mrs. Palpatine, the name is Jaxious..." During the conversation Palpatine proceeded to have a speechless argument with Ovirelt.

Leave. Palpatine mouthed to Ovirelt.

Ovirelt replied. No.

Why not?

Because I don't want to.

While Jaxious was still speaking to Palpatine's mother, Palpatine interrupted him. Palpatine feigned a happy face. "Mother, how about we speak privately. I have many—"