Chapter 21 | The Mentor & the Mentee

Palpatine had just finished his classes and as per HoloComm been called for a private lesson from Formidas'. Fex, the Formidas' hired guard, escorted him to Formidas' office. Fex stood beside him, she didn't speak, she barely moved, she simply stood there eying the young Naboo coldly.

Palpatine had taken note that apart from Buddy there was a noticeable absence of droids. Even the cook wasn't a droid. And hiring a living guard was rare when a guardian droid would be a more inexpensive option.

Fex pressed a button on the door, and she spoke into it. "Your mentee, Sheev Palpatine is here to see you, Lady Formidas."

"Send him in," an apathetic voice replied. Palpatine heard several lock mechanisms unlock themselves until the door finally slid open. Palpatine stepped in alongside Fex who stood by the door.

He found himself in a wide circular room with a low ceiling. The room was composed of red and white. The back wall was a glass window stretching from one side of the room to the other. A pair of glass doors lead out to a balcony which overlooked the smoldering Works.

At the center of the room was a circular section of the floor which dipped slightly and had odd groves in it. This circular section was directly before Formidas' desk. A small but insistent feeling tugged at him. It was a feeling emanating from the Force he grew to recognize. He sensed it would be wise...not to stand over that spot.

Formidas' sat at her desk. Her chair was swiveled opposite him speaking to a distressed person on the HoloComm.

"—yes, yes, do not be so frantic. It is simply politics, my dear Vor." Palpatine heard Formidas' voice callously say with amusement. "My apologies. I must be going now. And remember, if you breathe a word to anyone else, you'll suffer a fate much worse than your brother I assure you." Formidas signed off.

Formidas spun around with a smile on her face. "Ah, Palpatine, it is good to see you."

Palpatine twisted his ring and asked hesitantly. "What was that?"

Formidas waved a dismissive hand. "It was simply a misunderstanding that was been rectified. Nothing of much concern." She steepled her hands and told him. "Sit down, there is no need to be on edge."

Palpatine did so but it didn't ease his anxiousness. What did she do? Perhaps it was better he didn't know.

Formidas leaned back and spoke. "So, it is my understanding that a guard of yours trespassed on my residence and was swiftly dealt with by my husband?" She remained calm and composed. "And apparently both of you are incapable of cleaning up your own mess? You've said yourself Girris' family has been calling continuously. If you two could have staged a deadly accident rather than cutting of his head, perhaps things would be simpler!"

"Well, I'm not incapable—" Palpatine was interrupted.

She sighed deeply. "He promised me the next time he accepted an apprentice it would be one who could take care of themself. Must I do everything?" she pinched the bridge of her nose. "I thought my first lesson to you would be about how to sway a Noghri or how to make a deal with a band of Fiu pirates but no. It's about cleaning up Bazaron's messes."

Palpatine squirmed uncomfortably. "Well, you can still teach me, can't you?"

"Of course." She paused, "At least you're nothing like his last apprentice. A very unpleasant sort." Palpatine perked up at that, but Formidas said nothing more. "Let us begin shall we."

Palpatine nodded.

Formidas leaned on her forearms and asked him, "Tell me, Palpatine, what is the key to deceptiveness?"